There’s something magical about the combination of bananas, coconut, and pineapple. Throw in warm spices and the crunch of buttery pecans and you have a slice of heaven. This Gluten Free Decadent Layered Hummingbird Cake will transport you to a tropical paradise.
Tender, moist, and decadent. Those are three words that should always be used to describe hummingbird cake. It took me over a year to get this recipe just right. Achieving the perfect flavor and texture came down to swapping part of the sugar for coconut sugar.
Gluten Free Decadent Layered Hummingbird Cake, A Southern Tradition
The origin of this delicious confection isn’t exactly known, but has always been associated as a southern dessert. However, this tropical treat hails from way down south, by way of the Caribbean and Jamaica.
It’s only fitting that that this hummingbird cake, known as a Doctor Bird cake in Jamaica after the island’s national bird, gets extra tropical flavor with a double dose of coconut. The added bonus of using coconut sugar in this recipe brings a depth of flavor but without the usual amount of sugar found in many recipes.
Like carrot cake, hummingbird cake starts with a spiced cake base. Aromatic warm cinnamon perfumes the batter. Ripe bananas, juicy pineapple, and a snow flurry of coconut are the stars of this cake along with the tart and creamy Dairy Free cream cheese frosting.
Hummingbird cake is truly a feast for the senses. From the moment it enters the oven and fills your home with its heady aroma to sinking your fork into that first tender bite.
Breaking Down Hummingbird Cake, Layer by Layer
If you bake it, they will come. This towering stacked Gluten Free Decadent Layered Hummingbird Cake might look and taste complicated, however it couldn’t be easier. With just a couple easy steps and tips you will be slicing into this tropical masterpiece.
First, always start with room temperature ingredients. This holds true for both the cake itself and the frosting. Allow your eggs to sit out to take the chill off. Let your Dairy Free butter and cream cheese come to room temperature to ensure the frosting is smooth and creamy.
Next, never over mix your batter. To keep that tender bite, mix until your ingredients are just combined. Fold in your coconut and nuts at the very end.
Are you looking for more cake recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Banana Caramel Upside Down Cake. Now let’s bake Gluten Free Decadent Layered Hummingbird Cake!
Gluten Free Decadent Layered Hummingbird Cake
- Mixing Bowl
- 2 9" round cake pans
- 3 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 3 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup pineapple, chopped
- 1 cup coconut flakes
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 2 bananas, ripe
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
Dairy Free Cream Cheese Frosting
- 16 oz cream cheese, room temp
- 1/2 cup Butter, room temp
- 2 tsp vanilla
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Spray 2 9" round cake pans with nonstick baking spray.
- In a bowl add the eggs and sugars. Mix until light and frothy and the sugar is almost all dissolved, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the vegetable oil, bananas, pineapple, and vanilla extract. Mix for a couple of minutes.
- Add the dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't over mix!
- Gently fold in the coconut and pecans.
- Divide the batter between the two cake pans.
- Bake for 45-60 minutes until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Allow to cool completely before frosting.
Dairy Free Cream Cheese Frosting
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl. Starting on low speed and then increasing, mix until the frosting is smooth and creamy. Frost your cake. Enjoy!
- Depending on the cream cheese, you may need to add up to 2 cups of powdered sugar additionally.