What is your favorite date night out? Sometimes the best date nights happen at home. You can have all of the flavors of your favorite sushi restaurant with these Gluten Free Crispy Tuna Krab Sushi Stacks. Dining in has never been so easy.
As elegant and impressive as this dish is, it comes together easily and quickly. The majority of the recipe just involves your cutting board and knife. The most difficult part is deciding what drink to serve with it.
This fresh and vibrant dish is all about texture. The components Gluten Free Crispy Tuna Krab Sushi Stacks are simple. Crispy sushi rice, the crunch of fresh jalapenos, the tender bite of tuna, mixed with a creamy krab mayo makes for a full sensory experience.
Use your favorite brand of sushi rice for this recipe and prepare it according to the package directions. Most call for you to rinse the rice until the water runs clear, and some have an additional step of also soaking it. Now only does this help with the distinct texture of sushi rice, removing all excess outer starches will allow the rice cakes to get extra crispy.
When it comes to purchasing your tuna you want to make sure you’re buying sushi grade ahi tuna. What exactly does sushi grade mean? Because the tuna is being served raw, this ensures it is food safe to eat raw. The fish is flash frozen as soon as it’s caught locking in the flavor and freshness while making it safe.
Building Gluten Free Crispy Tuna Krab Sushi Stacks
This is a fun dish to make with someone else. Once person can do the chopping and prepare the fresh layers of the stack while the other can prepare the crispy sushi rice base. Let’s break down all the steps to this towering stack and make it easy.
First, prepare your sushi rice according to the package directions. This step can be done well ahead of time. Once your rice is cooked you are going to spread it out on a parchment lined 8×8 sheet pan. Allow the rice to chill for at least 30 minutes. Feel free to do this step earlier in the day.
Next, it’s all about the chopping for Gluten Free Crispy Tuna Krab Sushi Stacks. You want to keep the cuts as consistent as possible for these stacks. Small and precise is the key to not just the stacking, but making sure you get a taste of everything in one bite.
Once your rice has chilled and set it’s time to get it nice and crispy. You can either cut square shapes with a knife, or use biscuit cutter for this portion. Don’t be afraid to think outside of the box, or circle. No biscuit cutter or ring mold? No problem! Use a cleaned can or large mouthed glass.
Make sure your pan is good and hot before adding the oils, and allow the oils, sesame and vegetable, to heat all the way through. You want the rice to get crispy, not soggy, and hot oil ensures you get that crisp bite.
Last, it’s all about building your layers. Creamy, spicy krab, luxurious avocado, and the tender sweet tuna, with a little extra drizzle of spicy mayo to cap it off. Easy, elegant, and delicious!
Looking for more seafood recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Honey Shrimp Hibachi Bowls. Now let’s make Gluten Free Crispy Tuna Krab Sushi Stacks!
Gluten Free Crispy Tuna Krab Sushi Stacks
- Large skillet
Crispy Sushi Rice
- 1 cup sushi rice, prepared according to package directions
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- dash of sesame oil
- 1 avocado, diced
- 1 jalapeno, thinly sliced
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tsp sriracha
- 2 cups krab meat, chopped
- 2 tbsp Dairy Free sour cream
- optional additions, cherry tomatoes, soy sauce, fresh cilantro
- Prepare sushi rice according to directions. Spread out onto a parchment paper lined 8×8 baking sheet. Allow to chill completely.
- Cut into desired sized pieces, either using a ring mold, biscuit cutter, or just a knife.
- Heat a large skillet with the vegetable and sesame oils over medium heat.
- Add the sushi rice pieces and cook for about 3 minutes per side until lightly golden and crispy. Set aside.
- In a bowl combine the mayonnaise, sriracha, and sour cream and mix well. Reserve 1 tablespoon.
- Gently fold in the krab and jalapeños until coated.
- Top the crispy rice pieces with the krab mixture, followed by the avocado, and then the tuna. Drizzle with reserved spicy mayo. Top with cilantro. Enjoy!