Start your morning on a tropical note with these Gluten Free Coconut Pineapple Scones.
A Gluten Free And Dairy Free Start to the Day!
There’s something quintessentially breezy, and relaxing about the combination of coconut and pineapple. Just hearing those two words, you can picture palm trees swaying under an azure sky, steel drums playing in the background, plumeria perfuming the air, and a fruity rum drink in a sweating glass sitting next to your hand.
You can feel like you’re on vacation anytime when you make these Gluten Free Coconut Pineapple Scones. The natural flavors of coconut and pineapple are reinforced with extracts from Sweet Life Flavor Co. giving you a burst of flavor in every bite. Chunks of pineapple add texture to the fluffy interior.
Unlike most recipes for scones that can be labor intensive requiring you to cut cold butter into your dry ingredients, the use of dairy free butter makes these come together quickly getting you to your mini vacation that much faster.
Make these on the weekend to enjoy through the week, or to make your weekends a little more special. Your kitchen will smell like an island oasis. Turn on your vacation playlist, and let’s break down making scones.
Gluten Free Scones Made Easy
For this recipe, I am using 1 to 1 gluten free flour. The thickening agent in the blend makes it perfect for a quick bread not requiring yeast like these sweet delectable scones.
Next, let’s talk about wet ingredients. As I mentioned, for this recipe I’m using room temperature dairy free butter. Because of this, the dough comes together quickly and there are no worries of over mixing.
Chilling the dough before baking allows it to set up and create the fluffy texture you crave in a scone. I'm also adding a cup of chopped pineapple. You can use canned pineapple or fresh, but make sure your pineapple is thoroughly drained and dried.
The final key to success for these coconut-pineapple scones is parchment paper. You’ve seen me use it before. Especially in baking, it ensures your baked goods won’t stick to your pan while saving you from having to butter/grease.
Now that we have the basics down, let’s bake some scones!
Gluten Free Pineapple Coconut Scones
- Mixing Bowl
- 10” cast iron skillet or baking sheet
- Parchment paper
Coconut Pineapple Scones
- 2 cups 1.1 Gluten Free flour
- ½ cup coconut sugar
- 1 ½ tbsp baking powder
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- 6 tbsp Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- ½ cup Dairy Free heavy cream
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 drops Sweet Life Flavor Co. pineapple extract
- 10 drops Sweet Life Flavor Co. coconut etract
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- shredded coconut and coconut sugar for topping, optional
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp oat milk
- 5 drops Sweet Life Flavor Co. coconut extract
Coconut Pineapple Scones
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Cut parchment paper to fit your baking sheet, or the bottom of your 10” cast iron pan.
- In a bowl, combine all of your dry ingredients.
- Next, add wet ingredients, except for pineapple, and gently incorporate to thoroughly combine. Sprinkle in pineapple and mix to evenly distribute.
- Lightly flour your work surface before turning dough out. Using a rolling pin, work the dough into an approximately 8” round of even thickness. Cut the round in half, and then in half the other way, continuing until you have 8 slices.
- Place the slices on your baking sheet or in your cast iron, and then place in the freezer for 30 minutes.
- Bake the scones for 20-25 minutes, until the top is golden brown.
- Allow to cool slightly and then drizzle your glaze and add a sprinkle of shredded coconut and coconut sugar if using.
- In a bowl, add your powdered sugar, oat milk, and coconut extract. With a whisk or fork, thoroughly mix to combine and no lumps remain. If you want your glaze a little thinner feel free to drizzle in a little extra oat milk.