Can we all agree that the best part of German Chocolate cake is the decadent coconut frosting? Rich with hints of caramel and the amazing texture and crunch of nuts, the ratio of frosting to cake just never seems right. This Gluten Free Chocolate Coconut Hazelnut Tart will give you those familiar flavors in a more elegant slice.
When was the last time you took a bite of something and had that moment of total bliss? You know what I'm talking about. That combination of texture and flavor that was so perfect it momentarily made you stop and pause.
It All Starts with the Crust
Whether you're making a pie, tart, or crostata, your dessert always starts with the crust. The majority of the dry ingredients in this crust comes from hazelnut flour. Finely ground hazelnuts from Amoretti provide a warm, nutty hug of flavor. The crust itself is almost like biting into a shortbread cookie.
Amoretti carries all of your pastry needs. From nut flours and marzipans, to butters/pastes and flavorings/extracts, plus everything in between. They carry thousands of products to help take your creations to the next level with the finest ingredients.
In addition to the hazelnut flour, 1.1 Gluten Free flour, Dairy Free butter, and sugar make up the rest of the ingredients. It mixes together easily before being pressed and baked in either a single tart pan, or four mini tart pans.
Ooey Gooey Gluten Free Chocolate Coconut Hazelnut Tart
Let's talk ooey gooey decadent tart filling. The only thing better than coconut and hazelnuts are toasted coconut and hazelnuts. The stars of your tart filling get a boost of extra flavor from being lightly toasted in the oven. As a result of being roasted, their texture and flavor are enhanced.
As your roasted coconut and hazelnuts cool, all you have to do is mix up the rest of the ingredients for the filling. You know the flavor experience is going to be special when coconut cream, egg yolks, and brown sugar join for that caramel like custard base.
Do you love to bake? Make sure you check out my recipe for Dairy Free Pineapple Coconut Tres Leches Cake.
Not let's make a Gluten Free Chocolate Coconut Hazelnut Tart!
Gluten Free Chocolate Coconut Hazelnut Tart
- mixing bowls
- 9" tart pan or 4 4" tart pans
- 1 ½ cups hazelnut flour
- ½ cup Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- ½ cup sugar
- ½ cup Dairy Free butter, room temp
- 1 ½ cups coconut
- 1 cup hazelnuts, coarsely chopped
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 6 egg yolks
- ⅓ cup coconut cream
- 4 tbsp Dairy Free butter, melted
- Dairy Free chocolate, melted, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Mix all of the ingredients together.
- Press into your tart pan, or pans, using the bottom of a measuring cup to help evenly press it in.
- Bake for 20 minutes. If it starts to get brow, cover lightly with foil.
- Allow to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 350.
- Spread the coconut and hazelnuts evenly on a baking sheet. Toast for 5 minutes. Allow to cool.
- Mix the remaining ingredients in a bowl. Add cooled toasted coconut and hazelnuts.
- Pour into the tart shell. Bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is golden and filling set.
- Allow to cool for an hour before cutting.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate. Cut and enjoy!