All good things come wrapped up in a pretty package, whether it's a gift, or the gift of warm, savory food. These Gluten Free Chicken Chorizo Sweet Potato Empanadas are the perfect handheld treat that will have you diving in for that first bite before they've even cooled.
There's just something about pies that are a universal sign of comfort. Whether is' a creamy and luscious Dairy Free Coconut Cream Pie or these savory personal sized confections, they're always a comfort food. These flaky empanadas are perfect as an appetizer or fun lunch. The best part you can make the components ahead of time making these easy to make any day of the week!
When it comes to making homemade empanadas like these Gluten Free Chicken Chorizo Sweet Potato Empanadas, you have complete control of the ingredients. Not only do you have control of what goes in them, but also how they're cooked. While many empanada recipes call for frying these hand pies, this recipe bakes them making them both healthier and also easier to prepare.
- Chicken Thighs - D'Artagnan Foods boneless, skinless chicken thighs are humanly raised, free of antibiotics and hormones, and cook up tender and juicy. Using thighs for this recipe gives maximum flavor.
- Chorizo Sausage - You will want to use Mexican style chorizo for this recipe. It brings the savory flavors of garlic, paprika, and chiles to the filling and adds richness.
- Sweet Potatoes - Gives the filling texture while also adding natural sweetness.
- Salt & Pepper
- Yellow Curry - Infuses aromatic spice into every bite. Use your favorite variety.
- Gluten Free Pie Crust Mix - Using a Gluten Free pie crust mix such as Cup4Cup makes this recipe easy and effortless to prepare.
- Egg Wash - Gives the empanadas their golden finish.
Every empanada recipe needs a good dipping sauce and this one is paired with a creamy, sassy jalapeno cream sauce. Combining only a few fresh ingredients, this comes together quickly.
- Jalapeno - Remove the seeds for less heat. Gives a slight kick to this creamy and bright sauce.
- Avocados - Adds richness and creaminess to the sauce.
- Limes - Helps the sauce keep its bright color while also adding a sunny pop of flavor.
- Cilantro - Adds a citrusy, herbaceous bite to this sauce.
- Water - Helps thin out the sauce.
How to Make Gluten Free Chicken Chorizo Sweet Potato Empanadas
These savory empanadas come together in just a few simple steps. You can even prepare the filling portion ahead of time and then make them later on.
Time needed: 1 hour.
Savory chicken and chorizo are combined with sweet potatoes and yellow curry for a delicious treat perfect anytime of day.
Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add your diced chicken and chorizo. Allow the meat to cook until it is completely cooked through, about 7-10 minutes. Cook your sweet potato in the microwave until fork tender. Allow it to cool enough to handle.
Add the meat mixture, sweet potato, curry, salt, and pepper to a bowl and mix well.
- In Crust We Trust
Mix your pie dough according to the package directions. Roll it out and use a 5" round cutter to cut out circles.
Add about 2 tablespoons of the filling to each round. Fold over and crimp the edges. Place the empanadas on the prepared baking sheets and brush with the egg wash.
Allow the empanadas to bake for 20-30 minutes or until the tops are golden brown.
To make your sauce add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor. Blend until smooth and serve with the empanadas.
This recipe is completely Gluten Free. However, you can make this same recipe with a regular pie crust mix. Just make the crust according to the package directions. In addition, if you like things spicy, can leave the seeds in the jalapeno, or substitute the jalapeno with a serrano pepper.
Using a 5" round cutter makes it easy to portion out the dough for the empanada crusts. In addition, using a food processor or blender allows you to quickly and easily create the creamy jalapeno sauce.
These Gluten Free Chicken Chorizo Sweet Potato Empanadas are perfect for meal prep and store well. You can make the filling ahead of time and keep it refrigerated in an airtight container. It will keep for up to four days.
Once these are baked you will want to keep them refrigerated in an airtight container. Allow them to cool fully before storing them. You can line the bottom of your container with paper towel to help wick away any moisture. They will keep for up to five days in the refrigerator.
To reheat these you can reheat them in the oven on a low setting like 300 and let them warm through or reheat them in the microwave.
Top Tip for Gluten Free Chicken Chorizo Sweet Potato Empanadas
You will need one and half cups of mashed sweet potatoes for this recipe. You will need to measure the sweet potatoes once they have been cooked. Depending upon the size of your sweet potatoes you will need two to three potatoes for this recipe.
Gluten Free Chicken Chorizo Sweet Potato Empanadas
- 2 baking sheets
- 1 Skillet
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 5" round cutter
- 1 food processor/blender
- Parchment paper
Chicken Chorizo Empanadas
- ½ lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs, chopped
- 1 lbs fresh chorizo, removed from the casings
- 1 ½ cups cooked mashed sweet potatoes 2-3 potatoes, amount measured once cooked and mashed
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp yellow curry mix
- 1 pkg Gluten Free pie crust mix (2 crusts) prepared according to package directions
- 1 egg
- 2 tbsp water
Jalapeno Cream Sauce
- 1 jalapeno, seeds removed for less heat if desired
- 2 avocados
- 3 limes, juiced
- good pinch of salt
- ½ cup fresh cilantro
- ½ cup water
Chicken Chorizo Empanadas
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix the pie crust dough according to package directions. Roll out.
- Use a 5" round cutter to cut out circles. Place on the prepared baking sheets. You can refrigerate while you prepare the filling.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat. Add the diced chicken and chorizo. Use your spoon to break up the chorizo as it cooks. Allow it to cook until completely done, about 7-10 minutes.
- Cook your sweet potatoes in the microwave until fork tender. Scoop out the flesh and mash.
- Add the chicken/chorizo mixture, sweet potatoes, curry, and salt and pepper to a bowl. Mix to completely combine.
- Add about 2 tbsp of the mixture to a crust round. Fold it over and crimp with a fork. Repeat with the remaining crusts.
- Whisk together your egg and water. Brush over the top of the empanadas.
- Allow the empanadas to bake for 20-30 minutes or until golden brown. Serve with the jalapeno cream sauce and enjoy!
Jalapeno Cream Sauce
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender or food processor and blend until smooth.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve.
Leave a Reply