If food is a language of love, I am fluent in tacos. These Gluten Free Birria Tacos with Beef Consommé will have your friends and family asking for Taco Tuesday every night of the week.
What is your favorite kind of taco? Don't get me wrong, I never discriminate against tacos and love them all. However there's something special about birria. That rich beefy chuck roast cooks slowly all day until fall apart tender in a luxurious bath of warm aromatic spices, chiles, and herbs.
All About That Dip
Let's be honest, food that gets a dip is just more fun. It's interactive. It's an excuse to get a little messy. And it adds just another layer of flavor. These Gluten Free Birria Tacos with Beef Consommé are all about that dip!
Part of the magic of birria is the rich luxurious beef consommé. Perfumed with warm cinnamon, an accent of bright orange peel, and spicy pops of smoky chipotle, this consommé is both complex and addictive. You will already be planning to make it again even as you take that first bite.
Not only are these tacos served with the beef consomme, the tortillas themselves get a dip and then are cooked on a griddle or skillet with the shredded beef and Dairy Free cheese. That rich flavor becomes melded with every bite.
Gluten Free Birria Tacos with Beef Consommé, Step by Step
Don't be intimidated by the list of ingredients in this recipe. While they might be longer, the actual process of making these tacos couldn't be more simple. Let's break it down.
First, make sure your Dutch oven is fully heated before searing your chuck roast. The caramelization and crust that forms in this process builds flavor. If your pan isn't hot enough you're just going to steam the meat instead of getting that beautiful dark crust.
Second, don't rush the cooking. You're not cooking so much for an exact length of time but instead till your meat is fork tender. This chuck roast is going to get shredded so you want it at that gloriously tender fall apart consistancy.
Next up is all about the consommé. The texture of the sauce for Gluten Free Birria Tacos with Beef Consommé is key. You're going to remove the components that are simply aromatics, like the cinnamon stick and orange peel, and blend the sauce until its smooth and luscious.
Then it's all about shredding that beautiful beef, dipping your favorite corn tortillas into the sauce, topping them with the beef and some shredded cheese, and searing that sauce into the tacos. Serve with a side of extra consomme. Double dipping is highly encouraged.
Love tacos? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Breakfast Tacos. Now let's get cooking!
Gluten Free Birria Tacos with Beef Consommé
- Dutch Oven
- 2-3 lbs. chuck roast
- 1 tbsp canola oil
- 2 dried ancho chili pods
- 5 cups chicken stock
- 1 tsp reduced sodium beef base
- 4 cups water
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 2 orange peels
- 5 bay leaves
- 1 tbsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp marjoram
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 4 large garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 2 chipotle peppers
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Heat your Dutch oven over medium heat with canola oil.
- Season both sides of the chuck roast with salt and pepper.
- Sear both sides until dark brown. Set aside.
- Add your onions, garlic, and all the herbs. Toast for a couple of minutes before adding the rest of your ingredients and stirring to combine. Add the chuck roast back into the pot. Bring to a boil.
- Cover the pot and place in the oven. Cook for 3-5 hours depending upon the size of your chuck toast. The beef should be fork tender.
- Remove the beef and allow to rest before shredding.
- Remove the cinnamon stick, orange peels, and bay leaves. Stem the ancho chiles. Add the liquid to a blender and blend until smooth. If the liquid is still hot be sure to leave a little room for the steam to escape and use a towel to prevent splattering.
- Pour liquid back into the pot.
- To assemble the tacos dip a corn tortilla into the sauce. Place in a frying pan or griddle heated over medium heat. Add shredded beef and Dairy Free shredded cheese. Fold over and heat the other side.
- Serve with lime wedges and cups of the beef consommé. Enjoy!