Are you team savory or team sweet when it comes to breakfast or brunch? These Gluten Free Balsamic Strawberry Basil Scones balance the best of both in the ultimate perfectly flaky bite.
I love scones. There is nothing like eating a warm flaky scone hot out of the oven. When the scones are still a little steamy the crumbles threaten to scatter as you take that first bite.
The combinations of flavors are endless. Just sweet enough, the dough lends itself to playing up more sweet flavors, or more savory. In this instance we are drawing on both.
A Taste of Summer
These Gluten Free Balsamic Strawberry Basil Scones combine all the fresh flavors of summer. The flavors of sweet crimson strawberries and herbaceous verdant basil are intensified with the addition of a balsamic reduction.
Generous slices of juicy ripe strawberries and a confetti of basil add texture, flavor, and vibrant color. Dairy Free butter keeps these tender while the burst of fresh strawberries and tang of the balsamic keep them moist.
While scones are traditionally a breakfast treat, the harmonious balance of sweet and savory make the great for brunch, or even an afternoon pick me up. Anytime of day is the right answer to relish one of these treats.
Gluten Free Balsamic Strawberry Basil Scones, Step by Step
When you hear the word scone, they might sound fancy and intimidating. However scones couldn’t be easier. I am going to walk you through the simple steps for total scone success.
Unlike a biscuit that requires careful rolling out and cutting, scones are simply mixed, free formed with your hands, and baked.
The first tip to successful scones is keeping your dairy free butter nice and cold. When you add it into your Gluten Free flour you’ll want it to form crumbly small pebbles. As the scones bake, these small pebbles will help create that flaky texture.
The second tip for scrumptious scones is don’t over mix. Not only will this ensure your dairy free butter stays cold, it will keep the texture of the Gluten Free Balsamic Strawberry Basil Scones light and delicate. You want to just combine the ingredients.
Love scones? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Pineapple Coconut Pineapple Scones. Let’s get baking!
Gluten Free Balsamic Strawberry Scones
- Mixing Bowl
- Baking Sheet
- cooling rack
- 2 1/4 cup 1.1 Gluten Free flour
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 6 tbsp Dairy Free butter, cold
- 1 cup strawberries, chopped
- 2 tbsp basil chiffonade
- 1 tbsp balsamic reduction/glaze
- 1/2 cup oat milk
- 1 tsp orange zest
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 10 drops strawberry concentrate
- powdered sugar for dusting, optional
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line your baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the dry ingredients to your mixing bowl along with the cold butter. Mix until the butter is just incorporated and crumbly. It should resemble small pebbles and be sandy.
- Add your liquid and mix until everything is just incorporated. Be careful not to overmix.
- Gently fold in your strawberries and basil until evenly distributed.
- Shape with your hands into your desired shape and line your baking sheet with 6-8 scones, depending on how big you make them.
- Bake for 10-14 minutes, or until the tops are golden brown.
- Allow to cool on a cooling rack.
- Dust the tops with powdered sugar if desired. Enjoy!