Mix up a batch of umbrella drinks and let's give Taco Tuesday an island update. You can take the girl out of Matlacha, but I'm still bringing all of the island flavors with Gluten Free Ahi Tuna Tacos with Tropical Salsa.
Grilling season is officially here, and there's nothing I love more than tacos off the grill. These vibrant and colorful handheld treats combine beautiful ahi tuna with a sweet and tangy fruit salsa.
Sear is the Word
These quick cooking tacos are a treat any night of the week. Whether you're looking to shake up your routine or want to incorporate more seafood into your life, Gluten Free Ahi Tuna Tacos with Tropical Salsa are sure to become a favorite.
Ahi tuna is one of my favorite things to cook with. Aside from its flavor, I love how quick cooking it is. When you fire up the grill, you can have these tacos on the table in less than 20 minutes.
These tacos were one of the first things I cooked on my Aspire by Hestan grill. I love that the sear plate easily created the perfect crust while allowing me to keep the interior rare.
The seasoning on the tuna was simple. I used Spiceology's Kimchi Blend for that balance of salty, tangy, funky, umami, with just a hint of sweet. Ingredients such as shiitake powder, wasabi powder, and tamari granules make up this complex seasoning.
The salsa will have you feel like you're on vacation. Combining kiwi and pineapple with the crunch of jicama and creaminess of avocado, it's the ultimate accent to the ahi tuna. Red cabbage gives even more crunch and balances the sweet fruit with a note of bitterness.
Fiesta with Gluten Free Ahi Tuna Tacos with Tropical Salsa
Muddle up a batch of mojitos and invite some friends over. Let's take taco night outside and fire up the grill.
- Make your salsa. The more time it can sit, the more the flavors will meld and develop. I like to allow it to sit at least ten minutes, but you can make it prior to preheating your grill.
- Make sure your grill grates are cleaned, and lightly oil them.
- Preheat your grill. We are searing these ahi tuna filets so you want your grill hot, between 500-600 degrees. That will give you the beautiful seared crust while allowing the inside to remain raw.
- Pat your ahi tuna filets dry and lightly oil both sides with canola oil. Season both sides with the kimchi seasoning.
- Place the ahi fillets over direct heat. Cook the first side for 1-2 minutes until the meat releases from the grates. Don't force it until it's ready. Cook the second side another 1-2 minutes.
- Slice your ahi tuna.
- To build your Gluten Free Ahi Tuna Tacos with Tropical Salsa, layer Gluten Free tortillas with sliced cabbage, the ahi tuna, and top with the tropical salsa.
Are you looking for more taco night inspiration? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Sweet and Spicy Braised Chicken Tacos. Now let's get grilling!
Gluten Free Ahi Tuna Tacos with Tropical Salsa
- 1 grill
- 1 kiwi, peeled and diced
- ½ cup pineapple, diced
- ¼ cup cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup jicama, diced
- 1 avocado, diced
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 orange, juiced
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 tbsp vinegar
- pinch of salt and pepper
Seared Ahi Tuna Tacos
- 2 ahi tuna filets
- 1 tsp kimchi seasoning
- shredded cabbage
- Gluten Free tortillas
- Add the lime juice, orange juice, honey, vinegar, and salt and pepper to a bowl. Mix well to combine.
- Add the remaining ingredients and mix to combine. Allow the salsa to marinate for at least 10 minutes before serving.
Seared Ahi Tuna Tacos
- Lightly oil grill grates. Preheat grill to 500-600 degrees.
- Pat both sides of the ahi tuna filets dry. Lightly oil them with canola oil.
- Season both sides of the ahi tuna with the kimchi seasoning.
- Place the ahi tuna over direct heat on the grill. Allow the first side to grill for 1-2 minutes until it easily releases from the grates. Don't force it.
- Flip the ahi tuna filets and allow the second side to grill for 1-2 minutes.
- Slice the filets.
- To build your tacos add shredded cabbage to the tortillas. Top with slices of the ahi tuna. Top the tuna with tropical salsa.
Leave a Reply