What is your one must have at the holidays? It's not a holiday gathering at my house with at least three potato dishes. My absolute favorite is Gluten and Dairy Free Twice Baked Potato Casserole.
I don't know about in your household, but in mine potatoes are practically their own food group. The humble spud is perfect in every form with endless possibilities. This comforting and savory casserole is sure to become your new favorite variation.
It's All About Texture
My favorite part of Gluten and Dairy Free Twice Baked Potato Casserole is the play in textures. There's always that pillowy and creamy base of savory potatoes topped with something crunchy or crispy.
For this recipe I am using Bacon's Heir Pork Pank. Not only do I love the savory flavor it adds, I love the texture of this two ingredient panko. With only pork skin and rock salt this panko is free of both carbs and Gluten. It also has a higher heat tolerance than bread based breading while also being an equal 1 to 1 swap for bread crumbs.
In addition to the Pork Panko this casserole gets a boost of flavor and texture from crispy bacon. I think we can all agree bacon really does make everything better.
What's twice baked potatoes without some cheese? Both Dairy Free cream cheese and Dairy Free cheddar add creaminess while also giving that irresistible tang. Rounding out the flavors are fresh chives for that delicate pop of onion flavor and zesty Dairy Free sour cream
Twice as Nice Gluten and Dairy Free Twice Baked Potato Casserole
I love how easy this casserole is. Unlike making regular twice baked potatoes, there's no worrying about breaking the skin when scooping out the flesh. If you can boil potatoes, this casserole is for you. This casserole is for all of us spud lovers.
- Pregame! Boil your potatoes until just fork tender. When you're cubing them try and keep them in uniform sizes. This will allow them to cook at an even temp.
- Drain your potatoes well. You can always add them back into your hot pot and let the heat evaporate any remaining moisture. Add your potatoes into a mixing bowl with the Dairy Free milk, sour cream, and cream cheese along with your seasonings. Mix until smooth and just combined.
- Fold in your remaining ingredients except for the Pork Panko.
- At this stage you can preheat your oven to 375 degrees or you can save the potatoes to bake off till later. Gluten and Dairy Free Twice Baked Potato Casserole is a great make ahead dish.
- Top with your Pork Panko.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown.
- You will receive zero judgement if your dive in and eat straight from the pan. These are that good.
Are you looking for more potato recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Cheesy Bacon Croquettes. Now let's get cooking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Twice Baked Potato Casserole
- Stock Pot
- Mixing Bowl
- 9x13 casserole dish
- 4 lbs potatoes, peeled and cubed
- ½ cup Dairy Free milk
- 8 oz Dairy Free cream cheese, room temperature
- 12 oz Dairy Free sour cream
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp chives, chopped
- 1 lbs bacon, cooked and chopped
- 2 cups Dairy Free cheddar cheese
- 1 cup Pork Panko
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- Boil the potatoes until fork tender. Drain well!
- Add your potatoes, Dairy Free milk, cream cheese, and sour cream to a bowl along with the salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Mix until smooth and creamy.
- Fold in the chives, bacon, and cheese.
- Pour the potatoes into a 9x13 casserole dish. Sprinkle the Pork Panko evenly over the top.
- Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown. Enjoy!