Don't you instantly salivate when you hear the words Gluten Free Cheesy Bacon Croquettes? You will never again wonder what to do with those leftover mashed potatoes.
The vibrant colorful culture, food, and flavors of Cuba pop up everywhere in Florida. You can walk into just about any grocery store and stroll through the bakery, beckoned by the illuminated croquettes just waiting to be devoured.
Many cultures have a variation of the croquette, and for a reason. They’re the ultimate comfort food, hand held bite, game day eat, and hors d’oeuvres.
They're also the perfect leftover redo. What was once a great companion to your steak the night before gets new life as the star ingredient of these delectable savory treats.
Hello gluten free cheesy bacon croquettes! The ultimate mashed potato remix!
Cold mashed potatoes are the perfect vehicle for this dish and they will become something even better than their original.
With their warm, fluffy, interior, and the perfect delicately crunchy exterior, you will be making extra mashed potatoes just to have on hand for this dish.
Feel free to make mashed potatoes just for this dish. The key to its success is a combination of cold potatoes and that they weren’t too wet the first time.
They’re both the binder and the filling for these irresistibly poppable bites. And once you have them the first time they will become regulars in the cooking arsenal.
A Global Dish with Southern Roots
The inspiration for these gluten free cheesy bacon croquettes is rooted firmly in the south. Think savory, salty smoky bacon a one two punch of double the cheese, and the spicy, zesty, bright kick of chow chow, a vegetable filled relish that instantly becomes the life of the party.
You can find chow chow at many farmers markets as well as the condiment aisle of your grocery store. If you haven’t tried it, once you add it to your cooking repertoire you will find yourself adding it to sandwiches, burgers, hot dogs, and salads.
Are you hungry yet? Good! Let’s make some croquettes.
Gluten Free Cheesy Bacon Croquettes
- Large skillet
- 1 cup Cooked bacon, drained and chopped
- 3 cups Cod mashed potatoes
- ½ cup Dairy Free parmesan cheese
- ½ cup Dairy Free cheddar
- 1 tbsp fresh chives, minced
- ½ tsp paprika
- 1 cup Gluten Free panko bread crumbs
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- Chow Chow for serving
- In a bowl combine the mashed potatoes, bacon, cheeses, chives, and paprika.
- Using an ice-cream scoop, portion out each croquette. Roll in the panko until evenly and completely coated. Allow to chill in the refrigerator for half an hour.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with the coconut oil. Careful not to overcrowd, place the croquettes in the oil and shallow fry, turning occasionally so all sides become golden and crispy. You may need to cook in a couple batches.
- Take out of oil and allow to drain on paper towel.
- Serve these crispy treats with the chow chow.
Leave a Reply