Did you grow up with fruit cake? It seems like one of those really divisive foods that's sometimes the punch line of a joke for some, but beloved by others. This Gluten and Dairy Free Tropical Fruit Cake is a new twist and update on a classic.
I love this new spin on the holiday classic. Bursting with texture and flavor, every bite is an experience. This might be the perfect holiday dessert, but it's guaranteed to make you feel like you're on a mini island escape.
Let's take a moment and talk about the glaring neon mystery fruit that colors many fruitcakes like a confetti explosion. While it might be a taste of nostalgia, the actual fruit is questionable. This Gluten and Dairy Free Tropical Fruit Cake not only updates the classic, it utilizes quality ingredients.
For this recipe I am using RIND Snacks. I love RIND Snacks for their dedication to fighting food waste. By including the rinds in all of their fruit snacks they're not only maximizing the nutritional value they're also minimizing food waste.
This recipe includes three varieties of RIND Snacks for maximum flavor and texture. The Tropical Fruit Mix includes pineapple, kiwi, and bittersweet orange for that perfect balance of sweet and tart. The Straw-Peary mix includes dried strawberries, pears, and two different kinds of apples for that naturally sweet flavor that also delivers on texture. And you can't have tropical without the addition of coconut. This recipe also includes RIND Snacks Coconut Crisps.
I am going to warn you, make sure you have extra RIND Snacks when making this because I ate an entire bag of Straw-Peary while baking this. If you have friends and family in and out of your kitchen they won't be able to resist stealing bites of these chewy snacks. They're irrisistable!
In addition to the combination of dried fruit in this cake, ripe bananas and the crunch of buttery macadamias also bring texture and flavor. It might be cold outside where you are, but this cake will bring all of the vacation vibes.
Baking Your Gluten and Dairy Free Tropical Fruit Cake
This beautiful cake couldn't be easier to bake. Pull out your favorite loaf pan, and let's break down the steps.
- Pregame! Preheat your oven to 325 and spray your favorite 8x5 loaf pan with nonstick baking spray. You can also use a 9x5 pan but will need to reduce the baking time.
- Chop up your RIND Snacks. The Straw-Peary and Tropical mix include large slices of whole fruit so you want to break them down into bite sizes. You want pieces of this delicious fruit in every single bite.
- Mix your Dairy Free butter and sugar together for three minutes on high. You want to make sure your butter is at room temperature so this comes together quickly and smoothly.
- Add in your ripe bananas, eggs, and vanilla. Mix to combine. Add in your remaining dry ingredients and mix until everything is just incorporated. You don't want to over mix.
- Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
- Allow your Gluten and Dairy Free Tropical Fruit Cake to cool for 20 minutes before removing it from the pan and flipping it onto a cooling rack.
- Once your cake is completely cooled give it a nice little snow flurry of powdered sugar. It is the season after all!
Are you looking for more holiday ideas? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten and Dairy Free Twice Baked Potato Casserole. Now let's get baking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Tropical Fruit Cake
- 8x5 or 9x5 loaf/bundt pan
- Mixing Bowl
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees. Spray an 8x5 or 9x5 loaf/bundt pan with nonstick baking spray. If using a 9x5 pan you will need to reduce the baking time slightly.
- Add your butter and sugar to a bowl and mix on high for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add in your banana, eggs, and vanilla and mix to combine.
- Add in all of your dry ingredients and mix until everything is just incorporated. Don't over mix.
- Pour batter into your prepared loaf pan. Bake for 55-65 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean and the top is golden brown.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before flipping out from the loaf pan onto a cooling rack. Allow to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered sugar. Enjoy!