Cinco de Mayo is upon us. How are you celebrating? These Gluten and Dairy Free Spiced Baked Churros are the perfect end to your fiesta!
Whether you’re looking to end your Taco Tuesday on a sweet note or add the perfect sweet treat to your next party, these easy baked churros are an event unto themselves. Light and crispy on the outside and airy inside, the only question is chocolate or caramel?
All in the Texture
There’s no need to get out the fryer for these Gluten and Dairy Free Spiced baked Churros. With just a few easy pantry ingredients and simple steps, your taste buds will be doing the salsa.
Unlike many traditional churro recipes, these churros get a healthy update by being baked. Not only does this make them a little healthier, but there’s less mess and they’re a great make ahead treat.
The heart of these delicate confections begins with a classic choux pastry dough. The high moisture content in the dough creates steam, causing it to puff and creating the airy texture. This is the same type of dough used in pastries such as eclairs and cream puffs.
Once the luxurious, lightly sweetened dough is baked, it gets rolled in the classic combination of cinnamon and sugar giving it that kiss of spice. Skip deciding between a drizzle of melted chocolate or dip of silky caramel and serve both! Your friends and family will think you’re a total rockstar!
Easy Gluten and Dairy Free Spiced baked Churros
With just a few simple steps and tips, these fun bites are sure to become a family favorite.
- Pregame! Preheat your oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set them aside.
- Add your butter, sugars, and salt to a stock pot over medium heat and stir until the butter is melted.
- Once the butter is melted stir in your flour and continue to stir until a dough ball forms.
- Transfer the dough ball to a mixture. With the mixer running add the cinnamon, and one egg at a time. Allow each egg to fully incorporate before adding the next.
- Place the dough into a piping bag fitted with a 1/2″ tip. Pipe 4″ strips onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the churros for 20-25 minutes until they are lightly golden brown.
- Mix together your cinnamon and sugar and toss the baked churros in the mixture.
- Don’t forget the melted chocolate and caramel sauce!
Are you looking for more ideas with churros? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Churro Cheesecake with Dulce de Leche. Now let’s get baking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Spiced Baked Churros
- 1 Stock Pot
- 1 Mixer
- Parchment paper
- piping bag with 1/2" tip
- 1 cup water
- 1 1/4 cup Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup Dairy Free butter
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 3 eggs room temperature
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Dairy Free chocolate chips
- 1 can Dairy Free sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line two baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the water, sugars, salt, and butter to a stockpot over medium heat and stir until the butter is melted.
- Once the butter is melted add the flour, stirring the entire time. Continue to stir until the dough pulls away from the sides of the pot and forms a ball.
- Transfer the dough ball to a mixer. With the mixer running add the cinnamon.
- Add one egg at a time while the mixer is running, allowing each egg to fully incorporate before adding the next egg.
- Once all of the eggs are fully incorporated transfer the dough to a piping bag fitted with a 1/2" tip.
- Pipe 4" strips onto the prepared baking sheets.
- Bake the churros for 20-25 minutes until lightly golden.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate and caramel sauce. Sprinkle with a little extra cinnamon.
- Mix together the cinnamon and sugar.
- Toss the churros in the mixture until fully coated.
- Add your favorite Dairy Free chocolate chips to a microwave safe bowl.
- Microwave in 20 second intervals, stirring in between until melted.
- Pour a can of Dairy Free sweetened condensed milk into a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Bring to a low boil, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat once it's a light golden color.