Let's talk comfort food. We all love it, we all crave it, and just because we don't eat gluten or dairy doesn't mean we should have to give it up. This Gluten and Dairy Free Southern Pimento Mac and Cheese is all of the luxurious decadence of your favorite soul hugging comfort food.
I strongly believe that food needs to be amazing in general. When someone sits at my table, I don't want them to comment that something is good for being Gluten Free and Dairy Free, I just want them to think it's delicious. Having the right ingredients always helps in taking something from good to incredible.
South in Your Mouth
Let's be honest, the south takes mac and cheese very seriously. Where else are you going to go where it's an option as a vegetable. As much as love eating the rainbow of veggies I can fully get behind mac and cheese as a vegetable, especially with this Gluten and Dairy Free Southern Pimento Mac and Cheese.
There is a magic equation that needs to happen for the perfect mac and cheese. Yes, obviously the cheese matters, but it's all about that play in texture. For this recipe I am giving all of the crispy texture with a dose of savory bite by using Bacon's Heir Pork Panko.
I love using Pork Panko in my recipes because not only is it Gluten Free, it also has zero carbs, no sugar, and contains only two ingredients, pork rinds and salt. It's also an even 1 to 1 swap for any of your traditional breadcrumbs.
Unlike traditional breadcrumbs, Pork Panko has a high heat tolerance. It will give you all of that irresistible crunch. It's diabetic friendly and a great option for those on a keto or paleo diet.
Getting Cheesy with Gluten and Dairy Free Southern Pimento Mac and Cheese
Let's talk mac and cheese 101 and the tips you need to serve up the ultimate, decadent, luscious bite.
- The base of your sauce that hold everything together is a roux. When you melt your butter and add your 1.1 Gluten Free flour, continually whisk it. Keep stirring for several minutes so the flour gets a chance to cook out that raw flour flavor. You're not looking to add anything color to the mixture so it won't take long.
- Let your Dairy Free milk come to room temperature. When you slowly add it into the roux, it will help prevent it from seizing and forming lumps. I like to add ½ cup at a time.
- Don't over cook your pasta. It's actually okay to cook it just a little under as this Gluten and Dairy Free Southern Pimento Mac and Cheese gets baked in the oven.
- Make sure your pimentos are well drained before adding them.
It's that easy! Are you looking for more recipe inspirations? Make sure you check out my recipe for Dairy Free Creamy Tuscan Salmon with Spinach. Now let's get cooking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Southern Pimento Mac and Cheese
- Stock Pot
- Baking Dish
- 1 cup Pork Panko
- 12 oz Gluten Free pasta
- 8 oz Dairy Free cheddar shreds
- 2 cups Dairy Free milk
- ¾ cup Dairy Free heavy cream
- 4 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- 1 tbsp Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp ground mustard
- ¼ tsp smoked paprika
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ¼ tsp onion powder
- 1 cup Dairy Free sour cream
- ½ cup chopped pimentos, drained
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees. Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray and set aside.
- Cook your pasta according to pasta directions, drain and set aside.
- Melt butter in a stock pot on medium-low heat. Add the flour and continue to stir. Cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Slowly stir in milk, ½ a cup at a time. Continue to stir. Whisk in the heavy cream, sour cream, and all of the seasonings. Allow to simmer until slightly thickened while continuously stirring.
- Turn heat to low and add in the cheese. Once melted stir in the pimentos.
- Add in the pasta and stir to fully combine. Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Top with the Pork Panko. Bake for 20 minutes until golden brown and bubbly. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply