Fall is just around the corner and what better way to celebrate than with the ultimate cozy treat? Gluten and Dairy Free S'mores Cinnamon Rolls are the perfect way to surprise your family and friends.
S'mores are the right answer any time of day, like Gluten Free Decadent S'mores French Toast. This over-the-top take on cinnamon rolls is sure to become a family favorite.
Why You'll Love this Recipe
As if cinnamon rolls weren't decadent enough, Gluten and Dairy Free S'mores Cinnamon roll takes them to the next level with that classic flavor combination of molten chocolate and torched marshmallows.
- Familiar Flavors - This recipe combines the warm flavors of classic cinnamon rolls with the nostalgic campfire favorite of s'mores.
- Texture - The ooey gooey marshmallow top combined with the tender and soft roll will have you going back for seconds.
- Meal Prep - This is a great dish to make ahead of time and bring to a brunch, or sharing during the week as the ultimate treat.
These yeast based cinnamon rolls combine pantry staples with a few unexpected ingredients.
- Dairy Free Butter - This not only gives the cinnamon rolls themselves a decadent flavor and texture, it also is used in the filling.
- Oat Milk - Gives moisture to this yeast dough.
- Honey - Helps feed the yeast and add sweetness to the dough.
- Sugar - Helps feed the yeast while adding sweetness to the dough.
- Warm Water - This helps to activate the yeast.
- Instant Active Year - Helps the dough rise and give it an airy texture.
- Dairy Free Vanilla Yogurt - Gives both tang and also moisture to the dough.
- S'mores Seasoning - Combines the flavors of cocoa, graham crackers, and toasted marshmallows.
- Gluten Free Flour - I use Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Gluten Free flour. It makes it easy to measure for baking without having to add any additional ingredients.
- Brown Sugar - Goes into the filling, creating that kiss of caramel flavor.
- Cocoa Powder - What's s'mores without chocolate? This gives an extra boost of chocolate flavor to the filling.
- Chocolate Spread - Use your favorite to top off your cinnamon rolls!
- Marshmallows - Torched marshmallows are the ultimate crowning glory to these sticky buns.
How to Make Gluten and Dairy Free S'mores Cinnamon Rolls
Time needed: 2 hours and 10 minutes.
Lightly oil a large bowl and set it aside. Add your yogurt and eggs to a mixing bowl fitted with a paddle attachment. Mix until smooth.
Add half of your sugar, the yeast, honey, and water to a bowl and mix to combine. Allow it to sit for five minutes. It should begin to bubble and foam.
Add the oat milk, butter, salt, and the rest of the sugar to a pot over medium heat. Allow it to scald, but not come to a boil. When bubbles begin to form at the side remove it from the heat and allow it to partially cool.
Pour the yeast mixture into the yogurt mixture. With the mixer running slowly drizzle in the oat milk mixture. Add your flour in half a cup at a time. Once it is fully incorporated turn off the mixer. The dough will be sticky.
Dust flour onto the outside of your dough. Place in the oiled bowl and cover it. Allow it to rise for an hour. It should double in size.
Lightly flour your work surface. Work your dough by folding it approximately 10 times, careful not to press out all of the air. You can add flour as needed to prevent it from sticking. Roll your dough out until it's approximately 9x12.
Mix together your ingredients for the filling. Spread out onto the dough and then roll it up. Slice your dough into 9 cinnamon rolls.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Grease a 9z11 baking dish with Dairy Free butter and then place the rolls into the baking dish. Cover the dish with plastic wrap and a towel. Allow the rolls to rise for 30 before removing the cover and baking them for 30 minutes.
Spread chocolate spread over the top of your rolls and add marshmallows. Bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Top Tip for Gluten and Dairy Free S'mores Cinnamon Rolls
Yeast likes a warm environment to help activate it. When allowing your dough to rise the first time and then again once you have made your s'mores cinnamon rolls, stick them in a warm dry place. Keeping them close to a warm oven is always a great and easy option.
In addition, this is a stick dough. If you find it sticking to your work area when you're rolling it out you can always lightly flour your rolling pin and also work area.
Gluten and Dairy Free S'mores Cinnamon Rolls
- 2 Mixing Bowl
- 1 9x11 baking dish
- 6 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- ½ cup oat milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup sugar
- ½ cup water, warm
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 pkg instant active yeast
- 1 cup Dairy Free vanilla yogurt
- 2 tsp s'mores seasoning
- 4 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour plus ½-1 cup to work the dough
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 tbsp cocoa
- 2 tbsp s'mores seasoning
- 6 tbsp Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- Dairy Free chocolate spread
- Lightly oil a bowl and set it aside.
- Add your yogurt and eggs to the bowl of your mixer fitted with a paddle. Mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl add half of your sugar, honey, and warm water. Stir it to combine and allow it to sit for five minutes. It should become slightly foamy and bubble.
- Add the rest of the sugar to a pot along with the salt and oat milk. Allow it to scald but not boil. The sides should just begin to bubble.
- Remove from the heat and allow it to partially cool.
- Add the yeast mixture to the yogurt mixture with the paddle running.
- Slowly pour in the oat milk mixture.
- Add the flour ½ cup at a time, allowing it to incorporate.
- The dough will be sticky. Dust the outside with flour and then place it in the oiled bowl. Cover it with a towel and place it in a warm spot. Allow to rise for an hour. It should double in size.
- Flour your work area. Place the risen dough onto the floured surface and begin to work the dough, folding it about ten times. Be careful not to press all of the air out of it. Add additional flour if needed.
- Roll your dough out into an approximately 9x12 rectangle.
- Mix together the ingredients for the filling.
- Spread the filling mixture onto the dough. Roll it tightly.
- Slice the dough into 9 rolls.
- Use 1 tbsp of Dairy Free butter to grease a 9x11 baking dish. Place the rolls into the dish.
- Cover the top with plastic wrap and a towel. Allow them to rise for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover your rolls and allow them to bake for 30 minutes.
- Top with chocolate and marshmallows and bake for an additional 5 minutes.
Leave a Reply