You can take the girl out of Florida but you can't take the Florida out of the girl, at least when it comes to the official state pie. There is something irresistible about the tart and tangy bite of Gluten and Dairy Free Key Lime Pie with Macadamia Crust. The bright flavors combined with the silky texture make this a favorite.
There's something about the bright pop of key lime that brings a total island state of mind. Whether it's shaken up in a cocktail like Gluten Free Triple Coconut Key Lime Martinis, or this key lime classic, it's an ingredient that instantly makes you feel like you're on vacation.
Gluten and Dairy Free Key Lime Pie with Macadamia Crust is an instant classic. The best part it requires only a handful of ingredients. Whether you're squeezing up your own key lime juice or reaching for the bottle, it's a celebration of the tarty and tangy little fruit.
- Gluten Free Graham Crackers - Adds a little sweetness and buttery flavor to the crust.
- Macadamia Nuts - Rich, buttery, and packing texture in every bite, the addition of macadamia nuts makes this crust extra special. Don't forget to save some for topping!
- Dairy Free Butter - Used in both the crust and the key lime curd. Adds richness to balance the tart flavors.
- Key Lime Juice - Fresh is always best. However, you can use bottled key lime juice for this recipe.
- Sugar - Balances the tartness of the key limes.
- Eggs - Adds richness to the curd while also giving it its silky texture.
- Unflavored Gelatin - Stabilizes the curd and allows this pie to retain its shape without changing any of the flavors.
- Lime Zest - The citrus oils in the zest add an additional pop of flavor.
- Dairy Free Whipped Topping - Adds a pop of sweetness that compliments the flavors of the key lime pie.
How to Make Gluten and Dairy Free Key Lime Pie with Macadamia Crust
This recipe for key lime pie can be broken down into three easy steps. The hardest part is the anticipation of that first slice while you wait for it to set up.
Time needed: 23 hours and 20 minutes.
Silky key lime curd is combined with a buttery macadamia nut crust for a true taste of the tropics.
- In Crust We Trust
Add your Gluten Free graham crackers and macadamia nuts to a blender. Pusle until it forms a sandy texture. Mix with melted Dairy Free butter. Press the sandy mixture into an 8" to 9" springform pan. Allow it to refrigerate while you make the filling.
Add the key lime juice and gelatin to a bowl and mix to combine. Allow it to sit for five minutes.
Add the eggs and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix on high for about three minutes. The mixture will become pale yellow in color.
Add the egg mixture, gelatin mixture, lime zest, and Dairy Free butter to a medium stockpot over low heat. Keep whisking constantly, to prevent the eggs from curdling. Allow it to cook until the mixture has thickened, about ten minutes.
Pour the key lime mixture into the prepared crust. Allow it to refrigerate for 24 hours so the gelatin can set up.
Top with whipped topping and extra macadamia nuts. Enjoy!
This recipe for Gluten and Dairy Free Key Lime Pie with Macadamia Crust is completely Gluten Free and Dairy Free. However, you can substitute the graham crackers in this recipe with your favorite variety. You can also use dairy butter in this recipe. The measurements will be the same.
This key lime pie recipe needs to set up in the refrigerator for 24 hours. Once it has set it needs to remain refrigerated. It will keep for a week in the refrigerator.
Top Tip for Gluten and Dairy Free Key Lime Pie with Macadamia Crust
When you add your components for the key lime curd to your saucepan, start the mixture on low and keep continually whisking. Once it has started to thicken you can increase the heat to medium if desired to speed up the process. Always make sure you continually whisk though and start on low to prevent the eggs from curdling.
Gluten and Dairy Free Key Lime Pie with Macadamia Crust
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 saucepan
- 1 Blender
- 1 8" to 9" springform pan
- 3 cups Gluten and Dairy Free graham crackers
- ½ cup macadamia nuts
- ½ cup Dairy Free butter, melted
Key Lime Pie
- 1 ¼ cups key lime juice
- 2 ⅓ cups sugar
- 6 eggs, room temperature
- 4 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- 1 oz unflavored gelatin
- 2 tsp lime zest
- Dairy Free whipped topping and macadamia nuts for serving
- Add the graham crackers and macadamia nuts to a blender and pulse until they form a fine, sandy texture.
- Melt the butter and mix with the macadamia mixture.
- Press the crust mixture into an 8" or 9" springform pan. Refrigerate while you make the filling.
- Add the key lime juice and gelatin to a bowl and mix to combine. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs and sugar to a mixing bowl. Mix on high for about 3 minutes. The mixture will become pale yellow.
- Add the egg mixture, key lime mixture, butter, and lime zest to a saucepan and place on low heat. Whisk continuously until it thickens.
- Once it has begun to thicken you can increase the heat to medium to speed up the process.
- Once thickened pour the mixture into the prepared crust.
- Allow the key lime pie to refrigerate for 24 hours.
- When ready to serve top with whipped topping and chopped macadamia nuts.
Leave a Reply