What dishes remind you of childhood? Is there anyone thing that brings back fond memories? This Gluten and Dairy Free Grilled Pizza Sandwich instantly takes me back to being a kid.
Growing up, camping equaled a pizza grilled cheese. Now, I am not that fond of camping, but the campfire cooking was always the best! This molten cheesy sandwich brings back all of the nostalgia without having to fight mosquitos.
Grilling and Chilling
Just when you thought there couldn't be anything better than a grilled cheese, along comes the Gluten and Dairy Free Grilled Pizza Sandwich. Savory, gooey, warm, and perfectly crispy on the outside this is the ultimate bite.
When it comes to creating the perfect grilled cheese, whether it's just the classic cheese and bread, or an over-the-top version like this, the bread is just as important as the rest of the ingredients.
For this recipe I am using Carbonaut bread. I love Carbonaut because it's all plant-based, clean ingredients. There are no fillers, preservatives, it's non-GMO, and sugar free. But most importantly it tastes amazing and has such a great texture.
While the bread it the canvas for the sandwich, the fillings are what give you that warm handheld pizza experience. Pizza sauce brings that natural kiss of tomato sweetness with the hint of spice and herbs. Pepperoni satisfies all of your savory cured meat dreams. Because let's be real, pepperoni makes everything better. And ooey-gooey creamy Dairy Free mozzarella give you that melty cheese pull we all crave.
Griddling Up Your Gluten and Dairy Free Grilled Pizza Sandwich
Skip the camping but make this campfire treat! With just a handful of ingredients this is a fun and delicious lunch or dinner.
- This recipe makes two sandwiches but is easy to make for a crowd.
- Make sure your griddle or skillet is hot before adding your sandwiches.
- Don't rush the process. You want to cook these on medium heat so the outside gets golden and crunchy, but give it time for the cheese to fully melt.
- Want to make these vegetarian? Have fun with the fillings! Feel free to swap with sauteed mushrooms and onions.
Are you looking for more fun Dairy Free and Gluten Free grilled cheese recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Pork Panko Crusted Grilled Cheese. Now let's get cooking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Grilled Pizza Sandwich
- large skillet or griddle
- 4 slices Gluten Free Carbonaut bread
- 1 cup Dairy Free mozzarella
- ¼ cup pizza sauce
- 4 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- To build your sandwiches, add mozzarella to one half of the bread.
- Top with slices of pepperoni. Add 2 tbsp of pizza sauce to each sandwich.
- Top with the second slice of bread.
- Heat a large skillet or griddle on medium. Add the butter and melt.
- Add your sandwiches to the heated pan. Cook the first side for 3-4 minutes before flipping, or until the bread is golden brown.
- Flip and cook the second side 3-4 minutes.