All of the fun and festive patriotic holidays are upon us, and what better way to celebrate that with a beautiful, sweet treat? Gluten and Dairy Free Dessert Tacos with Berries will become the star of your next backyard barbecue.
Do dessert tacos count for Taco Tuesday? Because these might just be my new favorite taco creation. Crispy, creamy, a little tart, and a surprise pop of crunch, they pack all of the flavors and textures in every bite.
Some confections are almost too pretty to eat. These colorful and fresh Gluten and Dairy Free Dessert Tacos with Berries definitely qualify. With their delicate pizzelle taco shells and burst of fresh berries, these handheld treats are a ready made party.
One of the things that I love about this recipe is all of the different textures. I've created dessert tacos in the past and there was always something missing. Finally, it hit me, granola!
Grandy Organics Classic Granola is one of my favorite pantry staples. I can barely keep it in stock because my husband loves it as much as I do. Their traditional oat-based granola includes walnuts, cashews, and pumpkin seeds. It has just the right kiss of sweetness from wildflower honey.
I love that Grandy Organics doesn't use any artificial ingredients. They use renewable energy to create their products and offer a full line of granolas, grain-free granolas, and bulk goods such as flavored nuts, oats, and seeds.
Also offering up texture and crunch in these dessert tacos is the Gluten Free pizzelle shell. This portion of the tacos can be made ahead of time making it a perfect treat to take to a party and assemble.
Dairy Free whipped cream and Dairy Free cream cheese are combined with strawberry jam for a fluffy, pillowy sweet filling. The bounty of seasonal berries offers up the final crowning touch.
Creating Gluten and Dairy Free Dessert Tacos with Berries
There are three parts to creating these joyous desserts, the taco shell, the filling, and the toppings. Both the taco shells and the filling can be made ahead of time. Just assemble when you're ready to serve!
- Make the batter for your pizelles. Add the eggs and sugar to a mixer and beat on high for 3 minutes until it's a light yellow color.
- Mix in the vanilla, Dairy Free butter, and honey.
- Gently fold in the baking powder and Gluten Free flour. This will keep the batter delicate.
- Preheat your pizzelle maker. Add 1 ½ tablespoons of batter to each press. Allow them to cook for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the hot pizzelles to taco stands. Carefully press them in to create the taco shape and allow them to cool completely.
- To make the luscious filling for your dessert tacos, add all of the ingredients except the whipped cream to a bowl and mix until creamy thing smooth.
- Fold in the whipped cream and allow the mixture to chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 mibutes.
- To build your tacos pipe in the filling. Top with berries and the Grandy Oaks granola.
Are you looking for more gorgeous and easy dessert ideas? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten and Dairy Free Berry Rhubarb Cobbler. Now let's get baking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Dessert Tacos with Berries
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 pizzelle maker
Pizzelle Taco Shells
- 3 eggs
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp honey
- ½ cup Dairy Free butter, melted and cooled
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ¾ cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 8 oz Dairy Free cream cheese, room temperature
- 8 oz Dairy Free whipped cream
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp strawberry jam
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ cup Grandy Organics Classic Granola
- ½ cup strawberries, diced
- ½ cup blueberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- ⅛ cup mint, julienned
Pizzelle Taco Shells
- Add the eggs and sugar to a mixing bowl and mix on high for 3 minutes until the mixture is light yellow.
- Mix in the vanilla, honey, and melted butter.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder.
- Preheat the pizzelle maker.
- Add 1 ½ tbsp of batter to each press. Bake for 3 minutes.
- Transfer the pizzelles to taco stands. Press them in gently to form the taco shape.
- Allow them to cool completely before filling.
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl except for the whipped cream. Mix them until it's creamy and smooth.
- Fold in the whipped cream.
- Allow the filling to chill in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes.
- Pipe the filling into the taco shells.
- Sprinkle the granola on top.
- Top with fresh berries.
- Garnish with mint.