It’s beginning to feel like summer already, and I am craving all of the beautiful summer produce. This Gluten and Dairy Free Berry Rhubarb Cobbler is one of my favorites and a celebration of the gorgeous berries at season’s peak.
There’s just something warm and cozy about cobbler that pairs perfectly with the summer. It’s a great dessert to bake on the grill or the oven. In addition, it’s always the perfect end to all of your summer backyard parties and barbecues.
Classic with a Twist
I love the versatility of a cobbler. It’s one of those desserts that you can celebrate whatever is in season. Gluten and Dairy Free Berry Rhubarb Cobbler combines all of my favorite berries for the ultimate sweet treat.
While cobblers are perfect year-round, there’s just something about them that pairs so perfectly with the warm sun filled days of summer. The fruit is a little sweeter, the weather has you wanting to be outdoors, kids are out of school, and people want to gather together.
The recipe for Gluten and Dairy Free Berry Rhubarb Cobbler will wow your friends and family and have them asking for you to make it again. The best part is how easy it is!
I love the way the tart rhubarb plays with the sweet berries. For this recipe I am using a combination of blackberries, blueberries, and strawberries. They all bring their own personality while complimenting each other. A splash of fresh squeezed orange juice livens everything up.
Crowning the top of this bounty of fruit is orange scented Gluten Free drop biscuits. Lightly golden on top, they make the perfect canvas to absorb all of the sweet, sticky juices from the filling.
Baking Up Gluten and Dairy Free Berry Rhubarb Cobbler
The beauty of cobbler is both how rustic it is, and how easy it is to bake. With a few simple steps you will be serving up this taste of summer.
- Pregame! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all of your ingredients together for the fruit filling and add them to a 9×13 baking dish.
- Make your buttermilk for your topping. Mix together your Dairy Free milk and 1 tsp of vinegar.
- Make sure your Dairy Free butter is cold!
- Add all of your dry ingredients to bowl.
- Add the Dairy Free butter and using a fork or pastry cutter, cut the butter into the dry ingredients. It should form a wet sandy texture.
- Add the wet ingredients into the flour mixture and mix until just combined. Be careful of over mixing.
- Use a spoon to portion out biscuits over the top.
- Bake your Gluten and Dairy Free Berry Rhubarb Cobbler for 45-55 minutes. Allow it to sit for 20 minutes before serving.
Are you looking for more desserts filled with the taste of summer? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Oregon Blackberry Lemon Cupcakes. Now let’s get baking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Berry Rhubarb Cobbler
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 9×13 baking dish
- 2 cups rhubarb, sliced thinly
- 1 cup blackberries
- 2 cups strawberries
- 1 cup blueberries
- juice from 1 orange
- 4 tbsp cornstarch
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 3/4 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 3/4 cup Dairy Free buttermilk Mix 3/4 cup Dairy Free milk with 1 tsp vinegar
- 5 tbsp Dairy Free butter, cold
- 2 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- zest from 1 orange
- 1 tbsp sugar, for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix together all of your ingredients for the filling. Add the fruit mixture to a 9×13 baking dish.
- Add all of the dry ingredients for the cobbler topping to a bowl.
- Using a fork or pastry cutter, cut the butter into the flour mixture. It should resemble wet sand.
- Add the wet ingredients into the flour mixture, stirring to just combine. Don't over mix!
- Use a spoon to portion out the topping over the fruit.
- Sprinkle to 1 tablespoon of sugar over the biscuits.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes.
- Allow to cool for 20 minutes before serving.