Is there anything more fun than a fully loaded stack of pancakes? They instantly take any morning and suddenly turn it into an event! These Gluten and Dairy Free Decadent Tiramisu Pancakes are the perfect way to make any day a little more special.
I love pancakes. They’re such a fun canvas to play with. I also love using a pantry staple that allows me to spend time enjoying my pillowy stack with loved ones, and not in the kitchen mixing all day.
The Power of Pantry Staples
Why just get out the syrup when you can make Gluten and Dairy Free Decadent Tiramisu Pancakes? With just a few ingredients pancakes get transformed into something truly spectacular.
Part of what makes creating pancakes so much fun is starting with a favorite pancake mix. If you’ve followed me for awhile, you know I take pancakes very seriously. They were actually the first things I made in our new house after driving from Florida to North Carolina.
My favorite mix to use is Josie’s Best The Pancake. Pancakes are all about texture, and Josie’s Best delivers that pillowy, airy bite flanked in a golden crust. They just so happen to also be certified Gluten Free. They’re also top 8 allergen free meaning they have no dairy, tree nuts, eggs, soy, or peanuts.
The first layer of tiramisu flavor starts in the pancakes themselves. Tiramisu extract or coffee extract give depth to Gluten and Dairy Free Decadent Tiramisu Pancakes.
With the perfect pancakes offering up the canvas, it’s all about the creamy, dreamy tiramisu. Dairy Free ricotta is whipped until fluffy with and layered between the pancakes. And you can’t have tiramisu without a little snow flurry of chocolate shavings and cocoa powder!
Stacking Up Gluten and Dairy Free Decadent Tiramisu Pancakes
Get your coffee brewing or pop the bubbly because these pancakes are going to give you the full brunch at home experience.
- Mix together your tiramisu filling until creamy and fluffy. Simply combine Dairy Free ricotta and powdered sugar.
- Mix your favorite Gluten Free pancake batter according to the package directions with three additions, sugar, tiramisu extract, and baking powder.
- Make sure your skillet or griddle is fully heated on medium before adding your pancake batter.
- Make your pancakes like you normally would, watching for bubbles to form before flipping.
- To build your towering stack of tiramisu pancakes layer your pancakes with the ricotta mixture and garnish with Dairy Free chocolate shavings and cocoa powder.
Are you looking for more pancake inspiration? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Turtle Sundae Brownie Pancakes. Now let’s get cooking!
Tips for the Perfect Pancakes
There is nothing like sinking your fork into a mile high stack of pillowy pancakes. Perfectly crisp on the outside and airy inside, they’re a food group unto themselves. Whether you’re making homemade pancakes from scratch or using your favorite Gluten Free mix, here are some top tips to make the best pancakes.
- Don’t Overmix the batter! – It’s better to have a few lumps in your batter than it is to over mix. Overmixing your batter will create a tough and chewy pancake instead of a tender and airy bite.
- Let your batter rest. – After mixing up your pancake batter, allow it to rest for at least ten minutes. This will let it relax, giving you that tender bite.
- Make sure your pan is fully heated – A hot pan or griddle equals happy pancakes. Make sure your griddle or skillet is fully heated. This will give you that golden brown exterior and prevent the pancakes from spreading out and being too thin as the heat helps cause them to puff.
- Don’t scorch your pancakes! – You want a hot pan to cause that puff, but you don’t want your pan or griddle so hot that the exterior of your pancakes burn before the interior has a chance to cook. Maple syrup makes everything better, but not burnt pancakes.
- Grease your griddle or skillet. – Make sure that you use either melted Dairy Free butter or nonstick spray on your pan or griddle before adding your batter. Even if you’re using a nonstick pan, this helps the to easily release.
- Measure your batter. – Use a ladle or squirt bottle to easily and evenly distribute your batter. Cooking consistent sized pancakes at the same time makes it easier to manage.
- Don’t overcrowd your pan or griddle. – It’s better to make your pancakes in batches than it is to try and make too many at one time. Not only does the batter drop the temperature of the hot surface, but you also risk them running together. Plus, they’re easier to flip when they’re more spread out.
- Flip Once – Be careful of over flipping your pancakes. The first side may cook a little longer than the second side and that’s okay. How do you know when to flip your pancakes? Watch for bubbles. You will see bubbles begin to form both on the outside edges of the pancakes and also in the middle. Gently ease your spatula under the cake, and then flip with confidence.
- The first pancake is never perfect. – If your first pancake isn’t Instagram worthy, this isn’t a big deal! Crepes and pancakes have an unwritten rule, the first one might look a little wonky. This is a great way to gauge the heat of your pan or griddle, if you have enough grease, and how long to let your pancakes cook.
Gluten and Dairy Free Decadent Tiramisu Pancakes
- 2 mixing bowls
- 1 large skillet or griddle
- 1 cup Gluten Free pancake mix, plus ingredients to prepare
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tsp tiramisu extract can substitute with coffee extract
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 8 oz Dairy Free ricotta
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- cocoa powder and grated Dairy Free chocolate for serving
- Prepare your pancakes according to the package directions with the addition of the extract, sugar, and baking powder.
- Preheat your skillet or griddle over medium heat. Add Dairy Free butter.
- Add your batter to the heated skillet, allowing the first side to cook for 2-3 minutes before flipping. When you see bubbles begin to form, flip them and cook the second side 2-3 minutes.
- Mix the Dairy Free ricotta and powdered sugar together on high until smooth and fluffy.
- To build your pancakes spread some of the ricotta mixture between each pancake layer. Top with cocoa powder and grated chocolate. Enjoy!