Is there anything more comforting than a warm and flaky biscuit slathered in melting butter? With a few simple steps, you can create these Gluten and Dairy Free Buttermilk Biscuits, allowing your entire family to experience a true bite of cozy comfort.
Whether you're looking for the perfect side to serve up next to your Gluten and Dairy Free Pork Meatloaf with Gravy, or the star of your next Sunday brunch, these are sure to become a new favorite. Skip the processed ingredients with these homestyle biscuits.
There's no need to brave popping the tube with these easy Gluten and Dairy Free Buttermilk Biscuits. Using pantry staples you probably already have, these come together with ease.
- Gluten Free Flour - Bob's Red Mill 1 to 1 Baking Flour is my go-to flour for both sweet and savory dishes. When it comes to turning recipes that aren't originally gluten free into Gluten Free versions, there isn't any need for additional ingredients. It measures the same as traditional flour.
- Dairy Free Butter - This gives the biscuits their flaky and buttery texture and flavor. it's also used for the honey butter glaze.
- Kosher Salt - Enhances all of the flavors of the ingredients.
- Sugar - Adds just a hint of sweetness to these buttery biscuits.
- Baking Soda - Helps the biscuits rise as they bake.
- Baking Powder - Helps the biscuits rise as they bake.
- Dairy Free Buttermilk - Oat milk is combined with vinegar to create dairy free buttermilk. Gives these biscuits a slight tang.
- Honey - Combined with Dairy Free butter to create a sweet glaze for the tops of the biscuits.
How to Make Gluten and Dairy Free Buttermilk Biscuits
Making homemade biscuits has never been easier or more rewarding. With this easy recipe, everyone can enjoy the flaky and buttery flavor of a fresh from the oven, warm biscuit.
Time needed: 40 minutes.
These flaky Gluten Free biscuits come together in less than an hour.
Stick your Dairy Free butter in the freezer to get it nice and cold. Preheat your oven to 450 degrees. Brush a cast iron pan or 7x10 baking dish with melted butter and set it aside.
Use a cheese grater to grate your cold butter. Keep it cold until ready to mix into your dry ingredients.
Mix together all of your dry ingredients until well incorporated. Add your grated butter and Dairy Free buttermilk and mix until just combined. You want to make sure your butter remains cold, and you don't over mix your dough. You want it to just come together.
Place your dough onto a lightly floured work area. Roll your dough out until it is ½" to ¾" inch thick.
Use a biscuit cutter that is 3" to cut out eight biscuits.
Place the biscuits in the buttered baking dish or cast-iron pan. Bake for 17-20 minutes or until the tops are lightly golden brown.
- Honey Butter
Melt the Dairy Free butter and honey in the microwave and mix well. Brush the tops of the baked buttermilk biscuits with the honey butter mixture. Enjoy!
This recipe is completely Dairy Free. However, you can use regular buttermilk and butter in this recipe. You can also make your own buttermilk in the same way by adding vinegar or lemon juice to regular milk.
No biscuit cutter? No problem! You can use a glass, the metal lid of a canning jar, or even a metal can that has been cleaned to cut out your biscuits. If they have more of a dull or rounded edge use them as the template and then cut out the template with a sharp knife.
The key to the flakiness of these Glute Free biscuits is the cold, grated Dairy Free butter. Use a cheese grater to get that snow flurry of butter.
These Gluten and Dairy Free Buttermilk Biscuits are perfect to make ahead. They will keep for 2-3 days in an airtight container. You can gently reheat them if desired.
Top Tip for Gluten and Dairy Free Buttermilk Biscuits
There is nothing like the pillowy texture of a flaky, buttery biscuit. The easiest way to achieve that is by adding grated butter to your dough. Stick your butter in the freezer and allow it to chill before grating it. In addition, make sure your Dairy Free buttermilk is cold before adding it to the dough. This will prevent it from softening the butter. Once you cut out your biscuits if you're not baking them right away, keep them refrigerated until ready to bake. You don't want your butter to soften.
Gluten and Dairy Free Buttermilk Biscuits
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 cheese grater
- 1 cast iron skillet or 7x10 baking dish
- 1 3" biscuit or cookie cutter
Dairy Free Buttermilk Biscuits
- 2 ¼ cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 8 tbsp Dairy Free butter, cold plus 1 tbsp for baking dish
- 1 ¼ tsp kosher salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- ½ tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup oat milk
- 2 tsp vinegar
- 2 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- 1 tbsp honey
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
- Brush a cast iron skillet or 7x10 baking dish with 1 tbsp of melted Dairy Free butter. Set aside.
- Grate the cold butter and keep it cold until ready to mix dough.
- Whisk together the oat milk and vinegar to create buttermilk. Keep cold.
- Add all of the dry ingredients to a bowl and mix until well combined.
- Add the grated butter and buttermilk and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over mix.
- Lightly flour your work area.
- Add the dough to your work area and roll it out until it is ½" to 3/3" thick.
- Use a 3" biscuit cutter to cut out 8 biscuits.
- Place the biscuits into the prepared baking dish or skillet.
- Let the biscuits bake for 17-20 minutes, or until the tops or lightly golden brown.
- Melt the dairy free butter and honey in the microwave. Mix to combine.
- Brush over the top of the biscuits.
Leave a Reply