Is there anything more comforting than the aromatic perfume of sticky buns baking away on an early weekend morning? The smell of earthy yeast and warms spices bubbling away instantly draws people to the kitchen. Gluten and Dairy Free Banana Bread Sticky Buns are all that you love about those Sunday morning favorites, but with a twist.
Are you team banana bread, or team sticky buns? Why make the decision when you can have the best of both words. These soft and tender yeast rolls pack all of the texture and ooey gooey toppings of a sticky bun with the flavor of the ultimate banana bread.
Weekends are all about treating ourselves and those we love. There is something both calming and fun about the process of making dough and watching the ingredients transform to something magical. Gluten and Dairy Free Banana Bread Sticky buns combine two favorites for an irresistible morning mashup.
When was the last time you made a dough with yeast? It's always a little bit of a science project. The anticipation of the yeast feeding off of the sugar and activating. The patience while it sits away, covered, growing in size. And of course, the incredible way it smells as it bakes.
This recipe takes Gluten Free yeast rolls and adds in ripe bananas, bringing that soft texture and moisture in addition to the flavor. Just imagine that soft, pillowy dough.
Sticky buns are all about that glossy caramelized topping and crunch. With two simple ingredients, Dairy Free sweetened condensed milk and pecans, you will have that sticky and crunchy topping in every bite.
Ooey Gooey Delicious Gluten and Dairy Free Banana Bread Sticky Buns
In just three easy steps, you will be on your way to making breakfast extraordinary. We'll break it down between the dough, the filling, and the topping.
- When activating yeast, you want to make sure your water is warm.
- Lightly oil a bowl. This will prevent the dough from sticking and also keep it from forming a film over it.
- Mix the bananas and eggs together until creamy and mostly smooth.
- Melt the Dairy free butter along with the remaining sugar and salt.
- Bring your Dairy Free milk to a simmer, scalding it. You don't want it to boil, but you are looking for bubbles to start forming on the edges. Remove from the heat as soon as you see the bubbles.
- Combine the yeast mixture and banana mixture, and then add the cooled milk.
- With the paddle attachment running on your mixer, and ½ cup of Gluten Free 1 to 1 flour at a time, allowing it to incorporate before adding the next. The dough will be sticky.
- Lightly flour your ball of dough and place in the oiled bowl. Cover with a towel and set it aside to a warm place. Allow it to rise for an hour. It should double in size.
- Mix together the ingredients for the filling.
- Roll your dough out into a 10x8 rectangle. Spread the filling over the dough, leaving a 1" boarder.
- Roll the dough up tightly and cut into 8-9 rolls.
- Butter a 9" round cake pan. Sprinkle the pecans onto the bottom of the pan and then pour your Dairy Free sweetened condensed milk.
- Add the Gluten and Dairy Free Banana Bread Sticky Buns to the pan and allow them to rise in the pan for 30 minutes.
- Bake your buns at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. About halfway through baking lightly cover the pan with foil to prevent them from becoming too brown.
- Flip them out and enjoy!
Are you looking for more fun breakfast baking? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten and Dairy Free Cinnamon Apple Baked Oats. Now let's get baking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Banana Bread Sticky Buns
- 3 mixing bowls
- 1 mixer with paddle attachment
- 1 9" round cake pan
- 6 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- ½ cup oat milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- ⅓ cup sugar, divided
- ½ cup water, warm
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 pkg instant active yeast
- 1 cup ripe bananas 2 medium bananas
- 3 ½ cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour you may need an additional ½ cup
- 8 tbsp Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp unsalted caramel seasoning
- 1 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- 1 ½ cups pecans, chopped
- 11.25 oz Dairy Free sweetened condensed milk
- Lightly oil a pan with a neutral oil and set aside. I use vegetable oil.
- In a mixing bowl add the banana and egg and mix until smooth.
- In a separate bowl add the yeast, warm water, half of the sugar, and honey. Allow it to sit for 5 minutes until it is foamy and bubbly.
- Melt the butter and add the rest of the sugar and the salt.
- In a separate saucepan scald the Dairy Free milk. Do not bring it to a boil. You're looking for it to just start to bubble around the sides. Remove from the heat immediately and allow it to cool some.
- Add the yeast mixture to the banana mixture and then the cooled milk.
- Using the paddle attachment of your mixer add ½ cup of flour at a time, allowing the flour to incorporate before adding more.
- Once all of the flour has been incorporated turn the mixer off and lightly flour the outside of the dough ball. The dough will be sticky.
- Place the floured dough ball into the oiled bowl and cover with a towel. Allow it to sit for an hour undisturbed. It will rise, doubling in size.
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the filling.
- Roll the dough out to a 10x8 rectangle.
- Spread the filling evenly over the dough, leaving a 1" boarder.
- Roll tightly. Cut the log into 8-9 pieces.
- Using 1 tbsp of Dairy Free butter, butter the 9" round pan.
- Sprinkle the nuts all over the bottom of the pan.
- Pour the condensed sweetened milk over the nuts.
- Place the cut rolls into the pan. Cover with a towel and allow the rolls to proof for another 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Bake for 50-60 minutes or until the rolls are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean.
- Halfway through cooking lightly cover the rolls with foil. This will prevent them from becoming too brown.
- Once done turn out of the pan.