Pumpkin Spice season might be just around the corner, but the bounty of summer berries is still in full swing. Dairy Free Berries and Cream Parfaits is the perfect sweet treat to celebrate these gorgeous produce and cap off any dinner.
I love incorporating berries into desserts, such as my Gluten and Dairy Free Berry Crisp with Granola. The combination of sweet and tart juicy fruit is an instant crowd pleaser. This twist on the classic berries and cream is sure to become a light and elegant treat everyone will love.
If you're looking for a dessert that is a perfect make ahead, Easy Dairy Free Berries and Cream Parfaits is a perfect fit. Not only can you make the cream portion ahead of time, but you can also assemble them ahead of time.
All good things start with luscious, decadent silky pastry cream. The star of this Dairy Free pastry cream starts with coconut cream. You are only going to need the hardened portion.
Raspberry liqueur, such as Chambord, delicately perfumes every bite is this silky and luscious pastry cream. Egg yolks provide the richness and body.
As the mixture gently cooks over a double boiler, it thickens and becomes irresistibly creamy and sumptuous. Once you taste it, not all of the cream will make it to the berries. Double dipping into the bowl is highly encouraged.
How to Make Easy Dairy Free Berries and Cream Parfaits
With just a few easy to follow steps, this decadent and delicious dessert comes together effortlessly. Make this pastry cream for your berries and cream and then have fun adding it to other desserts.
Time needed: 2 hours and 30 minutes.
The most difficult part of this dessert is patiently waiting while it cools off and chills in the refrigerator.
Add all of your ingredients for the pastry cream into a bowl and mix until it's combined. The hardened coconut cream will be lumpy at first.
- Double Boiler
Create a double boiler. Bring a pot of water to a simmer and place your bowl over the top. You want to make sure that the water never touches the bottom of the boil. The steam will gently cook the eggs.
Make sure the heat is on medium. Continue to whisk the egg cream mixture until it thickens and is silky smooth. It will take about 20 minutes.
Remove the bowl from the double boiler. Pour the mixture into a glass bowl and cover it. Let it refrigerate until it is completely cooled. It will thicken more as it cools.
To assemble your berry parfaits, add sliced berries to parfait glasses. Top with the pastry cream. Add Dairy Free whipped cream if your wish. Enjoy!
Top Tip for Easy Dairy Free Berries and Cream Parfaits
You don't need any special equipment to create a double boiler/. You want to pick a pot that will be filled halfway with water and a bowl, either glass or metal, that easily fits over the top and creates a seal. As the water simmers it's the steam that cooks the eggs. Make sure that the water never touches the bottom of the bowl as the heat will be too high. You can always turn the heat down.
Easy Dairy Free Berries and Cream Parfaits
- 1 Double boiler
- 4 parfait glasses
- 14 oz Coconut cream, the hardened portion only
- 1 ½ tbsp raspberry liqueur, such as Chambord
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 4 egg yolks, room temperature
Berries and Cream Parfaits
- sliced berries
- Dairy Free whipped cream, optional
- Add all of your ingredients for the pastry cream to a metal bowl. Mix until combined. The hardened coconut cream will be clumpy at first.
- Create a double boiler. Fill a stock pot halfway with water and bring to a boil over medium heat. You want to make sure that the mixing bowl fits securely over the top.
- Place the bowl over the pot of simmering water, making sure the water never touches the bottom of the bowl.
- Whisk continuously until the mixture thickens slightly and becomes silky smooth, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the pot and pour the mixture into a glass bowl. Cover and allow it to chill for at least 2 hours until it has thickened and cooled completely.
Berries and Cream Parfaits
- To assemble your parfaits, add sliced berries to parfait glasses.
- Top with the pastry cream.
- Top with Dairy Free whipped cream if desired.