If you s'more it, they will come! It's no secret how much I love s'mores. This Dairy Free Dark Chocolate S'mores Parfait is an elegant twist on the classic flavor combination.
I love thinking up new ways to reinvent the classic s'mores, such as my Gluten Free and Dairy Free Torched S'mores Pie. This version is rich, creamy, bold, yet delicate making it a dreamy confection that delivers everything you love about the campfire staple.
Classic with a Twist
Dairy Free Dark Chocolate S'mores Parfait take the nostalgic treat away from the bonfire and directly to the kitchen. Elegant enough to serve at any dinner, they're the ultimate sweet treat to end a party on.
These handheld personal desserts are all about the deep, rich, decadent flavor of dark chocolate. When you're putting an ingredient center stage, you want to always start with the best you can.
For this recipe I am using Videri 75% Dark Chocolate. I love that this Raleigh, NC based chocolate factory is passionate about the entire process of chocolate making, from bean to bar. All of their chocolate is Gluten Free, nut free, soy free, and egg free. They also have many vegan options that are Dairy Free.
With just a handful of ingredients including the Videri dark chocolate, the first portion of this layered dessert is formed. A French chocolate mousse offers up that lusciously creamy intense chocolate flavor in every bite.
Homemade marshmallow fluff creates the second portion of this confection. Sticky, thick, and decadent, if delivers on big marshmallow flavor.
Crushed Gluten Free graham crackers provide crunch to balance the creamy and silky layers. You can either make these in individual serving glasses, or as one large trifle.
How to Make Dairy Free Chocolate S'mores Parfaits
This timeless dessert comes together in just a couple of steps. Unlike traditional s'mores you can make these ahead of time.
Time needed: 1 hour.
Get out your favorite parfait glasses and fire up your kitchen torch. These creamy creations will be love at first bite.
- Chocolate Dreams
To make your French chocolate mousse, begin by separating your egg yolks from the whites. Beat the egg whites until they form a stiff peak and hold their shape.
In a separate bowl whisk together your egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla. Create a double boiler to melt your chocolate gently. Once the chocolate is melted quickly whisk in the egg yolk mixture. You want to work fast to prevent the chocolate from seizing up.
Gently fold in the egg whites. Use a loop motion to fold it in; don't stir it.
- Getting Fluffy
To create your marshmallow fluff, add your water, sugar, corn syrup, and extract to a small saucepan on medium heat. Allow it to cook until it reaches 240 degrees. You will want to use a candy thermometer for this.
Add your egg whites and cream of tartar to a bowl and mix on high for 3-4 minutes or until stiff peaks form. Slowly drizzle in the hot syrup, continuing to mix. Continue to mix for an additional 8 minutes until the mixture is thick and glossy.
- Layer it Up
To create your layers for your Dairy Free Dark Chocolate S'mores Parfaits, sprinkle crushed Gluten Free graham crackers into the bottom of your parfait glasses. Add a layer of the French mousse, followed by the marshmallow fluff. Repeat if desired, ending with the marshmallow fluff.
- Finishing Touch
Use a kitchen torch to lightly toast the marshmallow fluff. Garnish with extra chocolate.
Because there is no dairy in the French chocolate mousse, you will want to leave it out to sit at room temperature. Refrigerating it will cause the mousse to harden.
Using a double boiler to melt the chocolate for Dairy Free Dark Chocolate S'mores Parfaits allows it to melt gently without breaking.
When you create a double boiler, it allows you to cook or melt something at a gentle heat without worry of over cooking it. This is useful for making custards, meringues, melting chocolate, etc. The best part is you don’t need any special tools.
Armed with a pot of simmering water and a glass bowl, you can easily create a double boiler at home. The key is to make sure the water never touches the bottom of the bowl. You want the steam created from the seal to do all of the work.
Dairy Free Dark Chocolate S'mores Parfaits
- 1 mixing bowl and mixer
- 1 candy thermometer
- 1 saucepan
- 2-4 parfait glasses
- kitchen torch
French Chocolate Mousse
- 5.5 oz Videri 75% dark chocolate bar, roughly chopped, plus extra to garnish
- 4 eggs, divided, room temperature
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 ½ tsp vanilla extract
- ½ cup water
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tsp toasted marshmallow extract can substitute with vanilla
- ¾ cup corn syrup
- 4 egg whites
- ½ tsp cream of tartar
- 2 cups Gluten Free graham crackers, crushed
French Chocolate Mousse
- Separate the egg whites from the egg yolks.
- Add the egg whites to a mixing bowl and beat them until they form stiff peaks and hold their shape.
- In a separate bowl whisk together the egg yolks, sugar, and vanilla.
- Create a double boiler. Bring a pot of water to a simmer and place a glass bowl over the top of it, making sure the water never touches the bottom of the bowl.
- Add your chocolate and stir until melted.
- While the chocolate is hot quickly whisk in the yolk mixture until it is fully incorporated. You want to work fast to prevent the chocolate from seizing up.
- Remove the bowl from the double boiler. Add one spoonful of the stiff egg whites into the chocolate mixture and fold it in to loosen up the chocolate mixture.
- Using a loop motion, fold in the remaining egg whites.
- Because there is no cream in this mousse, you will want to leave it at room temperature. The chocolate will harden up in the refrigerator.
- Add the water, sugar, corn syrup, and extract to a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a simmer.
- Allow the mixture to simmer until it reaches 240 degrees. You will want to use a candy thermometer or instant read thermometer for this.
- Add the egg whites and the cream of tartar to a mixing bowl. Mix on high until it forms stiff peaks, 3-4 minutes.
- Slowly drizzle in the syrup mixture with the mixer running.
- Continue to beat the egg whites for another 8 minutes until they are thick and glossy.
- Add the crushed graham crackers to the bottom of your parfait glasses.
- Add a layer of the French chocolate mousse.
- Top the mousse with a layer of marshmallow fluff.
- Sprinkle more graham crackers over the top.
- Repeat the layers, ending with the marshmallow fluff.
- If desired, use a kitchen torch to lightly toast the marshmallow fluff.
- Garnish with extra chocolate.