When the temperature begins to drop slightly, what food do you start to crave the most? I don’t know about you but there’s nothing more comforting than a classic like chicken and rice soup. This Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup is the perfect toe warming meal for any cool weather weeknight dinner.
As much as I love a pot of soup simmering on the stove all day, sometimes I want something quick and easy that still has that all day cooked flavor. This hearty and creamy soup goes from pot to bowl in well under an hour.
All Day Flavor in Minutes
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup isn’t just the perfect soup for when you want a hearty weeknight meal, it’s also the ultimate feel better soup. This is my go-to recipe for when I have a cold or am under the weather.
There are a couple tips and tricks that not only make this soup fast, but also give it that depth of flavor. Let’s start with the chicken.
We’re skipping the roasting, poaching, grilling, etc. of the chicken in this recipe. Instead, I’m using a pound of boneless skinless chicken breast cut into even cubes. They get sautéed until golden brown on the outside, adding that first layer of flavor. You’re not looking to cook the chicken all the way through, just get a little color. It doesn’t take that long.
The vegetables also get sautéed, helping them develop their flavors. This also helps them cook that much faster once they’re simmered in the chicken broth and Dairy Free heavy cream. I did promise creamy in this Dairy Free Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup.
Which brings us to the wild rice, and that all day cooked flavor. For this recipe you want to use your favorite boxed mix of wild rice that includes the seasoning packet. This is going to give dimension to the broth as well as offer up an herbaceous back note.
Tips for Dairy Free Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- Cut your chicken into even bite sized pieces. This will allow them to cook evenly and fast.
- Allow your pot to fully heat before adding your chicken. You’re looking to brown the outside and develop that first layer of flavor.
- Sauté your mirepoix, or onions, celery, and carrots, until tender.
- Add your remaining ingredients. Depending on which brand of wild rice mix you use, the cooking time may be a little longer or a little less. The nutty wild rice will remain a little toothsome, but you want it to be tender.
- Serve with your favorite soup side kicks. Gluten Free cracker, bread, or just an extra flourish of chopped parsley are all that this needs to make a complete meal. This also makes a great meal prep dish as soup is even better the next day.
Are you craving more soup recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for Dairy Free Creamy Chicken Sausage Tuscan Soup. Now let’s get cooking!
Creamy Chicken and Wild Rice Soup
- 1 stockpot
- 1 lbs chicken breast, cut into cubes
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, diced
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 cup mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 box wild rice with seasoning packet
- 1 1/2 cups Dairy Free heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 tsp garlic, minced
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Heat the olive oil in a stockpot over medium heat.
- Add the chicken, allowing it to lightly brown, 3-5 minutes.
- Add the carrots, celery, and onions. Continue to sauté until the onions are lightly translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients and stir to combine.
- Turn the heat to medium-low. Allow the soup to simmer for 20 minutes, or until the rice is tender.