Who says you can’t have your ultimate comfort food on a weeknight? Savory, fully loaded, piled high with warm marinara and molten cheese, these Dairy Free Chicken Parmesan Smash Burgers combine two comfort food classics into the ultimate bite.
Gluten Free Chicken Parmesan is a comfort food unto itself. Whether it’s served atop fettucine alfredo or with a simple marinara sauce, it’s always the right answer. However sometimes the craving hits and you don’t have time to recreate the beloved Italian-American classic. This fully loaded and stacked burger gives you all of the flavors you love, but in a fun twist that is as easy to make as it is delicious to eat.
One of the great things about burgers in general and these Dairy Free Chicken Parmesan Smash Burgers is that they don’t require a laundry list of ingredients. The best part is you can use your own homemade marinara, or even a favorite pizza or pasta sauce. That makes this chicken burger recipe ideal for any day of the week.
- Ground Chicken – Ground chicken is low in fat and high in protein. It’s a great canvas for flavors while also being a lean protein that cooks quickly. You can use all ground chicken breast but using a combination of white and dark meat will give you the most flavor and moisture.
- Parsley – Adds an herbaceous, fresh, grassy note.
- Garlic Powder – Easily mixes into the ground chicken and gives a bright savory note.
- Onion Powder – Gives delicate onion flavor without overpowering the rest of the ingredients.
- Salt and Pepper – Seasons the ground chicken.
- Vegetable Oil
- Marinara or Pizza Sauce – Use your homemade sauce or pick up your favorite store bought variety.
- Dairy Free Mozzarella – What is chicken parm without that melty top? Makes these burgers fun and irresistible.
- Dairy Free Parmesan – Gives these burgers a salty, nutty bite while bringing all of that chicken parm flavor.
- Gluten Free Buns
How to Make Dairy Free Chicken Parmesan Smash Burgers
Making burgers should always be fun and easy. They’re a canvas to play with and a great way to try out new flavor combinations. You can just as easily make these burgers on a griddle outside or in the kitchen at the stove. All you need is a hot pan and about twenty minutes for these to come together. This is also a great recipe to double and triple and serve to a crowd.
Time needed: 20 minutes
Savory chicken burgers are hugged in warm marinara and melted molten cheese.
Add your ingredients for the burgers into a bowl and mix until just combined. Be careful not to over work the meat.
Form the chicken mixture into four equal sized balls. If your score your meat down the middle and then across the other way it makes it easy to divide.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat with the vegetable oil.
Adds the meat balls to the hot skillet. Use the back of the spatula to smash them down, pulling the meat slightly towards you.
Let the first side of the burgers cook for 3-4 minutes. Flip them and allow the second side to cook another 30-4 minutes until they are golden brown.
Turn the heat off. Spoon marinara over the burgers and top with mozzarella and parmesan. Cover the skillet with a lid and allow them to sit until the cheese is melted.
- Burger Time
Top toasted Gluten Free buns with the burgers. Dive in and enjoy!
These Dairy Free Chicken Parmesan Smash Burgers use dairy free products. However, you can make the same recipe with regular mozzarella and parmesan cheese. The measurements will be the same.
In addition, you can also serve these burgers with your favorite non Gluten Free buns. Have fun making these burgers completely your own!
This same recipes also works well with ground turkey. Either all turkey breast or a combination of ground dark and white meat will work.
These burgers are great for making ahead. You can mix together the ground chicken portion of this recipe and keep it stored in an airtight container for up to 24 hours in the refrigerator. You can also form the meatballs and keep them covered on a baking sheet in the refrigerator for 24 hours prior to cooking them.
Once these burgers are cooked they will last for up to three days stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator. You can gently reheat them in the oven on a low setting or reheat them in the microwave if desired. They can also be rewarmed in a skillet set over medium-low with the lid on to remelt the cheese.
Top Tip for Dairy Free Chicken Parmesan Smash Burgers
Smash burgers are all about that texture of crust and little brown bits. Make sure that your skillet or griddle is fully heated, along with the oil, before adding your meatballs. This will allow the meat to brown and caramelize as opposed to just steam.
Dairy Free Chicken Parmesan Smash Burgers
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Large skillet
- 1 Spatula
- 1 lbs ground chicken
- 1 tbsp parsley
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup marinara or pizza sauce
- 1/2 cup Dairy Free mozzarella
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 2 Gluten Free burger buns, toasted
- Add the ground chicken, parsley, onion and garlic powder, salt, and pepper to a bowl. Mix until just combined.
- Form the meat mixture into four equal sized balls.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with the vegetable oil.
- Place the meatballs into the hot skillet. Use the back of the spatula to press them flat, pulling the ground chicken slightly towards you.
- Let the first side cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Flip the burgers and allow the second side to cook for another 3-4 minutes until they are golden brown and cooked through.
- Turn the heat off. Spoon marinara over the top of the burgers. Top with the mozzarella and parmesan.
- Cover the skillet with a lid and allow the burgers to sit until the cheese is melted.
- To build your burgers add two patties to your toasted buns. Enjoy!