Is there any more classic flavor of summer than creamsicle? There’s something magic about that combination of oranges and vanilla. Dairy and Gluten Free Orange Creamsicle Pie is a fun and delicious twist on this warm weather favorite.
Skip turning on the oven and cool off with this fun and delicious creamy confection. With its sugar cookie crust and tangy orange curd, it’s like taking a bite of sunshine.
Curd is the Word
This cool refreshing dessert requires no baking, and just a little time at the stove to create the fresh and luscious orange curd. Dairy and Gluten Free Orange Creamsicle Pie will become a regular in your summertime treats.
It’s no secret how much I love making no-bake desserts. Not only do they allow you more time with friends and family and less time in the kitchen, but they’re also the ideal make ahead treat. Whether you’re looking for the perfect dessert for a barbecue or want to end dinner on a sweet note, they effortlessly go from refrigerator to table.
This sunny dessert is as much about the texture as it is the combination of sweet and tart flavors. All great pies start with the crust. For this recipe we’re making a sugar cookie crust. You can use your favorite Dairy Free and Gluten Free sugar cookies for this recipe.
Putting the cream in the creamsicle is a tangy and silky cream cheese layer. Dairy Free cream cheese is combined with whipped topping for a fluffy cloud that pairs perfectly with the orange curd.
When it comes to the orange curd, you want to use freshly squeezed orange juice. In addition the zest of the orange will infuse that much more flavor. Every layer gives its own unique texture while the flavors dance harmoniously together.
The Squeeze on Dairy and Gluten Free Orange Creamsicle Pie
Pick up some oranges and let’s dive into this creamy and dreamy dessert!
- Crust is a must! You can use either a 7×10 baking dish or 9×13. Break up your sugar cookies and spread them over the bottom of your baking dish. Pour melted Dairy Free butter over the top, mix, and press the crust down to make it even. Place the crust in the fridge while you make the next layer.
- Make sure your Dairy Free cream cheese and Dairy Free whipped topping are at room temperature this will allow everything to mix together smoothly.
- Mix all of the ingredients for the cream cheese layer together and spread over the cookie crust. Place back in the fridge.
- Create a double boiler for the orange curd. Bring a pot of water to a simmer and fit a glass boil over the top. You don’t want the water to boil and you don’t want the water to ever touch the bottom of the bowl. The steam created will cook the eggs.
- Add your eggs, yolks, sugar, salt, orange zest, and cornstarch to the bowl and whisk until the sugar is dissolved and the eggs begin to get frothy.
- Add your orange juice and continue to whisk until it begins to thicken, about 10 minutes.
- Once thickened add your Dairy Free butter and continue to whisk until it’s thick and coats the back of a spoon.
- Transfer the orange curd to an airtight container. Allow it to cool completely.
- Once the orange curd is cool spread it over the top of the cream cheese layer.
- Top your Dairy and Gluten Free Orange Creamsicle Pie with whipped topping and garnish with mandarin oranges if desired.
When you create a double boiler, it allows you to cook or melt something at a gentle heat without worry of over cooking it. This is useful for making custards, meringues, melting chocolate, etc. The best part is you don’t need any special tools.
Armed with a pot of simmering water and a glass bowl, you can easily create a double boiler at home. The key is to make sure the water never touches the bottom of the bowl. You want the steam created from the seal to do all of the work.
Are you looking for more easy no-bake recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free White Chocolate Blueberry Rice Krispie Treats. Now let’s get into the kitchen!
Dairy and Gluten Free Orange Creamsicle Pie
- 1 7×10 or 9×13 baking dish
- Mixing Bowl
- Double boiler
- 3 cups Gluten Free and Dairy Free sugar cookies, crushed
- 3 tbsp Dairy Free butter, melted
Cream Cheese Layer
- 8 oz Dairy Free cream cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 8 oz Dairy Free whipped topping
- 2 cups orange juice
- 6 egg yolks, room temperature
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 1/2 tbsp orange zest
- 1 cup sugar
- 4 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- pinch of salt
- 5 tbsp cornstarch
- 8 oz Dairy Free whipped topping for serving
- orange segments for garnish, if desired
- Break up the cookies and spread them into the bottom of your baking dish. Pour the melted Dairy Free butter over the top and press down.
- Place the crust into the refrigerator while you continue on with the next step.
- Add the cream cheese and powdered sugar to a mixing bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Fold in the whipped topping.
- Spread the cream layer over the crust and place back into the refrigerator.
- Create a double boiler. Bring a pot of water to a simmer over medium heat and fit a glass bowl over the top of it, making sure the water never touches the bottom of the bowl. You are looking to create steam.
- Add the eggs, egg yolks, sugar, salt, orange zest, and cornstarch to the bowl. Continuously whisk until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the orange juice and continue to whisk until the mixture becomes thick, about 10 minutes.
- Stir in the butter. Continue to cook until it coats the back of a spoon and holds its shape when you run your finger down the spoon.
- Transfer the orange curd to an airtight container and allow it to cool completely.
- Once cooled spread the orange curd over the top of the cream cheese layer.
- Top with an additional 8 oz of Dairy Free whipped topping and garnish with orange segments if desired.