What is your favorite comfort food? There is something both cozy and comforting about pot pie. That combination of tender vegetables, creamy, savory sauce, and flaky crust is a classic for a reason. Elevate the traditional pot pie with Dairy and Gluten Free Decadent Lobster Pot Pie. Bursting with generous chunks of sweet and succulent lobster meat, this is sure to become a new favorite.
With Valentine's Day just around the corner now is the perfect time to start planning your menu. With this luxurious lobster recipe as the star, all you need is Dairy Free Chocolate Hazelnut Dipped Strawberries as dessert and you have the makings of a meal to remember.
When something starts with a luxury ingredient such as lobster, it doesn't take much to allow it to shine. Dairy and Gluten Free Decadent Lobster Pot Pie combines a flaky puff pastry crust with a celebration of fresh vegetables.
- Lobster - All good things start with lobster including the fully loaded lobster pot pies. You can use any type of lobster meat for this recipe, from whole live lobsters to lobster tails that have been cut up. You want to make sure it isn't already cooked though so it remains tender.
- Celery - Adds brightness and freshness to the pot pie.
- Carrots - Gives natural sweetness that compliments the sweetness of the lobster.
- Shallot - Shallots offer up a delicate onion flavor without overpowering.
- Garlic - Provides a savory back note to the sauce.
- Frozen Peas - Gives sweetness and texture to every bite.
- Thyme - This delicate herb has a citrusy note that pairs well with seafood.
- Kosher Salt
- Seafood Stock - Doubles up on the flavor of the lobster and creates the base for the sauce.
- Dairy Free Heavy Cream - Makes the gravy hugging every bite rich and decadent.
- Dairy Free Butter
- Potatoes - Gives pillowy texture to this pot pie.
- Gluten and Dairy Free Puff Pastry - Skip making your own crust! Using premade puff pastry make this lobster recipe easy to prepare. Schar Puff Pastry Dough is not only Gluten Free and Dairy Free but also free of wheat and eggs.
- Egg Wash - Helps create a seal for the puff pastry.
How to Make Dairy and Gluten Free Decadent Lobster Pot Pie
This is a great way to celebrate all things lobster while also stretching out the luxury ingredient. Skip making a roux. Using Dairy Free heavy cream helps create a thick and luxurious sauce without overtaking the rest of the ingredients.
Time needed: 1 hour.
This lobster pot pie recipe can be made as one large pot pie, or four individual servings using ramekins.
Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
Heat a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the butter, garlic, shallots, carrots, and celery to the pan. Cook for five minutes or until the shallots are translucent.
Add the potatoes and seafood stock and cover with a lid. Cook until the potatoes are fork tender, about ten minutes.
Remove from the heat and uncover. Stir in the peas, thyme, salt, and heavy cream. Allow to cool. Once cooled stir in the lobster meat.
Divide the filling between the ramekins. Brush the sides with the egg wash and place a piece of puff pastry over the top.
Allow your lobster pot pie to bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.
This recipe is completely Gluten Free and Dairy Free. However, you can make the same recipe with regular puff pastry and dairy heavy cream. The measurements will be the same.
This recipe for lobster pot pie uses a favorite combination of vegetables. Feel free to omit any, such as peas, or add your favorite pot pie vegetables such as corn.
You can use this recipe to make one large pot pie, or four individual lobster pot pies. It will fill either a 7x10 casserole dish or four eight-ounce ramekins.
Top Tip for Dairy and Gluten Free Decadent Lobster Pot Pie
Frozen puff pastry in general is a great time saver for both sweet and savory recipes. Because Gluten Free puff pastry doesn't have the elasticity of other frozen puff pastry it can be a little more delicate to work with. If you get any tears in the dough when rolling it out, use a little water to glue it back together.
Dairy and Gluten Free Decadent Lobster Pot Pie
- 1 stockpot
- 4 8 ounce ramekins or 7x10 casserole dish
- 1 lbs raw lobster meat, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- 1 cup carrots, chopped
- 1 shallot, diced
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 1 ½ tsp thyme
- 1 ½ tsp kosher salt
- 3 cups seafood stock
- ½ cup Dairy Free heavy cream
- 2 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- 1 ½ cups potatoes, peeled and cubed small
- 1 puff pastry sheet, cut into 4 squares defrost according to package directions
- egg wash, 1 egg whisked with 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Place a large stockpot over medium heat. Add the butter, garlic, shallots, carrots, and celery. Sauté for 5 minutes or until the shallots are translucent.
- Add the potatoes and seafood stock. Stir to combine. Cover. Allow to simmer until the potatoes are fork tender, about 10 minutes.
- Uncover and remove from heat. Stir in the salt, heavy cream, peas, and thyme. Let cool.
- Once cooled stir in the lobster meat.
- Divide the filling between 4 8 oz ramekins or add to a 7x10 casserole dish. Brush the edges of the ramekins or casserole dish with the egg wash. Top with puff pastry.
- Let your lobster pot pies bake for 20-25 minutes or until the crust is golden brown.