What is your favorite breakfast? There is something about a fluffy biscuit drenched in a creamy, savory, slightly spicy sausage gravy that has the ability to turn any morning into an event. Dairy and Gluten Free Creamy Sausage Gravy is the ultimate way to start your day.
You have your pillowy Gluten and Dairy Free Biscuits baking away in the oven. Now what? While a warm buttery biscuit is magic on its own, it gets transported to over-the-top status with the addition of a rich and savory gravy. This quick cooking sausage gravy is the perfect addition to freshly baked biscuits while also being a great way to transform those leftover biscuits into something completely new.
Whether you’re looking for brunch inspiration or breakfast for dinner, Dairy and Gluten Free Creamy Sausage Gravy is always the right answer. Anytime anything starts with a pound of sausage, you know it’s going to be good.
- Breakfast Sausage – This is going to add all of the spice and richness to the dish. Pick your favorite variety. Like things spicy? Go with a spicy sausage. Feeling herbaceous, use your favorite sage sausage. For gravy on the sweeter side maple sausage is a fun addition. You can also use a combination.
- Onion – Adds depth and savory flavor.
- Worcestershire Sauce – This adds instant umami as well as salt.
- Cayenne – A little dash will give a mild back note of spice without overpowering the entire dish.
- Paprika – Gives a slightly smoky note that compliments the meaty sausage.
- Kosher Salt – Enhances all of the flavors of the ingredients. Because sausage has its own salt it doesn’t take much.
- Black Pepper – Gives mild, earthy spice.
- Garlic Powder – Adds that bright, pungent pop of garlic without overpowering entire dish.
- Dairy Free Heavy Cream – Adds richness and creaminess to this decadent sausage gravy recipe.
- Water – Thins out the gravy so it can cook down and allow the flavors to concentrate.
How to Make Dairy and Gluten Free Creamy Sausage Gravy
This is a perfect way to make breakfast special without a lot of time. If you have leftover biscuits, it will go even faster.
Time needed: 25 minutes
Bursting with generous chunks of sausage in every bite, you will be eating this gravy with a spoon straight from the pan.
Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add your sausage and use your spoon to break it up. Allow it to cook until it’s completely browned.
Add the onion and let it sauté with the sausage and drippings until it’s translucent.
Add your seasonings and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine.
Add the water and heavy cream. Stir. Let it cook until it begins to thicken, 5-8 minutes.
Taste your sausage gravy. Depending upon the brand of sausage you may need to add a little additional salt and pepper.
This recipe was made with pork sausage. However, you can use turkey or chicken sausage for a lighter version. You may need to add a splash of olive oil to your pan when you add your onions.
In addition, this recipe is completely Dairy Free. However, you can use dairy heavy cream in this recipe. The measurements will be the same.
This sausage gravy makes for great leftovers that can be easily reheated. Keep it stored in an airtight container in the refrigerator and it will keep for up to a week. When ready to serve it gently reheat it in a saucepan on low.
How to Serve Dairy and Gluten Free Creamy Sausage Gravy
While biscuits and gravy are a classic combination, there are numerous over ways you can serve up this savory sausage gravy. Here are just a few ideas.
- Chicken and Waffles
- Pork Chops
- Hashbrown Casserole
- Breakfast Bowls
- Fried Chicken
- Mashed Potatoes
- Tater Tots
- Breakfast Nachos
Top Tip for Dairy and Gluten Free Creamy Sausage Gravy
Heavy Cream, even plant based Dairy Free heavy cream, naturally thickens as it cooks down. However, if you want an even thicker texture create a cornstarch slurry. Mix together one tablespoon of cornstarch and one tablespoon of water and add it to your gravy. Keep stirring until it thickens.
Dairy and Gluten Free Creamy Sausage Gravy
- 1 Large skillet
- 1 lbs breakfast sausage
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 2 cups Dairy Free heavy cream
- 1/4 cup water
- Heat a skillet over medium heat.
- Add your sausage. Use your spoon to break it up as it cooks. Allow it to brown until fully cooked.
- Add your onion. Sauté the onion until it's translucent.
- Add your seasonings and Worcestershire sauce. Stir to combine.
- Add the water and heavy cream and stir. Let it cook until the gravy thickens, 5-8 minutes.
- Taste for salt and pepper.
- Serve and enjoy!