When traditional desserts start to feel monotonous, it’s time to think outside the box. Enter the Cornbread Cake with Peanut Butter Honey Frosting—a combination that might initially raise eyebrows, but after the first bite, it’s all about wanting another slice.
This isn’t your typical cornbread side dish. We’re blending the comforting, familiar texture of cornbread with the indulgent sweetness of a frosted cake. Whether you’re a baking novice or a seasoned expert, this recipe offers a fresh take on cake baking that’s as rewarding to make as it is to eat.
Why You’ll Love Cornbread Cake with Peanut Butter Honey Frosting
Marrying the texture of cornbread with a creamy peanut butter honey frosting isn’t something you come across often. Every bite offers a symphony of flavors that is both familiar yet refreshingly new.
Don’t be daunted by the fusion of flavors; the process is straightforward. Even if you’re new to the baking world, the recipe is designed to be user-friendly, ensuring a delicious outcome.
Suitable for Various Events
Whether it’s a casual weekend brunch, a festive celebration, or even just a regular day craving something different, this cake fits right in, making it both versatile and a conversation starter.
You won’t be juggling numerous kitchen gadgets. A few basic tools are all that’s needed, promoting both efficiency and ease.
The use of 1.1 gluten-free flour ensures that those with dietary restrictions aren’t left out. Everyone gets to enjoy the treat without compromise.
What You Need to Make Cornbread Cake with Peanut Butter Honey Frosting
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Mixing Bowls
- 9×13 Baking Dish
- KitchenAid or Hand Mixer
Ingredients You Need to Make Cornbread Cake with Peanut Butter Honey Frosting
- Yellow fine cornmeal
- 1.1 gluten-free flour
- Kosher salt
- Vegetable oil
- Large eggs
- Baking powder
- Creamed corn
- Creamy peanut butter
- Cream cheese, room temp
- Powdered sugar
- Vanilla extract
- Butter, room temp
How to Make Cornbread Cake with Peanut Butter Honey Frosting
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and prep a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick spray.
- In a bowl, combine milk, eggs, creamed corn, and sugar.
- Fold in dry ingredients, mixing just until combined.
- Pour batter into the baking dish and bake for 25-35 minutes. Check with a toothpick; it should come out clean. Allow the cake to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine peanut butter, cinnamon, cream cheese, vanilla, honey, and milk. Mix until smooth.
- Gradually add powdered sugar, one cup at a time. The consistency should be firm enough for frosting.
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I use another type of milk?
Yes, oat milk can be a suitable substitute, but it may alter the cake’s texture slightly.
How do I store the leftover cake?
Keep it refrigerated in an airtight container. It will stay fresh for up to 4 days.
Can I make mini versions of this cake?
Absolutely. Use muffin tins for individual servings. Adjust baking time accordingly.
Is there an alternative to peanut butter for the frosting?
You can use almond butter or cashew butter as alternatives. The flavor profile will change but will remain delicious.
Cornbread Cake with Peanut Butter Honey Frosting
- Measuring cups/spoons
- mixing bowls
- 9×13 baking dish
- KitchenAid or Hand Mixer
- 1 cup yellow fine cornmeal
- 2 cups 1.1 gluten free flour
- 1 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup milk
- 2 large eggs
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 cup can cream corn
- 1 cup creamy peanut butter
- 8 oz cream cheese room temp
- 4-5 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 4 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup butter room temp
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Spray a 9×13 with nonstick spray.
- Mix buttermilk, eggs, creamed corn and sugar in a bowl.
- Fold in the dry ingredients and mix until just incorporated (don’t over mix).
- Pour into the baking dish.
- Bake for 25-35 minutes, the top will be golden brown, use a toothpick to check when it’s ready.
- The toothpick should come out clean. Let it cool completely.
Frosting Step-by-Step Instructions:
- Add the peanut butter, cinnamon, cream cheese, vanilla, honey, and milk to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix until smooth.
- Mix in the powdered sugar by 1 cup at a time.
- Depending on the brand of peanut butter you may need more powdered sugar to make it firm enough to frost a cake. Enjoy!
Cornbread Cake with Peanut Butter Honey Frosting is more than just a culinary adventure; it’s a delightful blend of comfort and luxury.
The rustic charm of cornbread juxtaposed with the sweet, creamy frosting ensures every mouthful is a memorable experience. Beyond the flavors, what makes this recipe a keeper is its simplicity. It doesn’t demand professional baking skills or rare ingredients.
It’s a testament to the fact that sometimes, the most unexpected combinations can lead to the most delightful outcomes. So the next time you’re in the mood for something sweet, yet different, remember this cake. It promises satisfaction with every bite.