Sweet and savory flavors unite in the ultimate mashup that makes all of your childhood dreams come true. Smoky bacon, warm spices, flaky crust, all hugged in a sweet glaze make this Apple Bacon Jam Pop Tart with Maple Frosting over the top special.
Bacon makes everything better! Whether it's a Pimento Cheese Burger with Bacon Jam or this giant pop tart, it's the ultimate irresistible ingredient. It's a full sensory experience that beckons you with its heady aroma, crispy chew, and combination of salt and smoke. Throw in sticky maple syrup, spiced applesauce, and of course buttery crust, and this fun creation won't last long!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
- Simple Ingredients - All good things start with bacon including this homemade pop tart. Combining easy ingredients like store bought pie dough and applesauce with pantry staples like brown sugar and cinnamon, this recipe only requires a handful of easily accessible ingredients.
- Easy Process - Using store bought pie dough makes this extra easy, along with using flavorful applesauce as the base.
- Combination of Flavors - This pop tart recipe is the perfect balance of sweet and savory. Warms spices round out the combination of this crowd pleasing dish.
Flaky pie dough hugging thick, spiced apples and bacon, all hugged in a sticky maple frosting will have your friends and family diving in to get the last crumb. As delicious as this Apple Bacon Jam Pop Tart with Maple Frosting is, it's also just as easy to shop for.
- Pie Crust - You can use your favorite pie crust recipe for this or use either store bought pie crust or a pie crust mix such as Cup4Cup.
- Bacon - Bacon brings pure smoky, savory flavor to every bite. For the best texture pick a thinner cut bacon so it can fully render and become one with the applesauce.
- Applesauce - Feel free to use homemade applesauce or your favorite store bought apple sauce. This is the perfect texture for the filling of the pop tart and makes this extra easy to make. No need to peel and chop any apples!
- Cinamon - Enhances the spices already traditionally found in applesauce.
- Brown Sugar - Adds sweetness to balance the saltiness of the bacon and helps make the filling extra jammy.
- Salt - Enhances all of the natural flavors of the ingredients.
- Powdered Sugar - Easily dissolves into the frosting.
- Vanilla Extract - The higher the quality of the extract, the more intense and pronounced the flavor.
- Maple Syrup - Skip the imitation syrup and reach for the real maple syrup as this is the predominant flavor of the frosting.
How to Make an Apple Bacon Jam Pop Tart with Maple Frosting
You will be the star of the show when you reveal this giant pop tart from the oven. Enrobed in a sweet maple glaze, this is over-the-top fun but also incredibly easy and addictively delicious. Once you sink your fork into the first bite, you might not even want to share.
Time needed: 1 hour and 30 minutes.
The hardest part of making this giant apple bacon pop tart is waiting for it to cool off to frost.
Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside. Make sure that your pie crust dough is chilled.
- That's My Jam
Chop your bacon into smaller pieces. You can use kitchen shears for this. Add the bacon to a saucepan over medium heat and cook it until it's rendered and crispy. Remove from the pan and allow it to drain on a paper towel lined plate. Chop into even finger pieces. Add the bacon back into the pan along with cinnamon, applesauce, brown sugar, and salt. Allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes until thickened and the moisture has cooked out. Let cool.
Roll out your two pie crusts into an approximately 8x12 rectangle. Spread the apple bacon jam onto the first crust, leaving a little boarder. Place the second crust over the top. Use a fork to tightly seal the edges.
Place the pop tart onto the prepared baking sheet and allow it to bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Let cool.
Mix all of the ingredients for the maple frosting together until smooth and silky. Spread over the cooled pop tart.
How to Make This Recipe Gluten Free
To make this recipe gluten free, use your favorite gluten free pie crust recipe. You can also use a gluten free pie crust mix such as Cup4Cup or purchase a frozen or refrigerated pie crust. You will need two crusts for this recipe.
How to Make This Recipe Dairy Free
Aside from the ingredients in your chosen pie crust, this recipe is completely dairy free. To easily keep it dairy free just check the ingredients in your pie crust.
This apple bacon pop tart with maple frosting makes four servings. If you have leftovers allow them to cool completely and then transfer them to an airtight storage container. Keep them at room temperature and they will last for up to four days. To reheat your homemade pop tart place it on a parchment paper lined baking sheet and place it in an oven preheated to 325 degrees. Let it bake for a couple of minutes to warm through. You can also microwave this if you wish but won't have quite the same flaky rexture.
Top Tip for an Apple Bacon Jam Pop Tart with Maple Frosting
Is there anything better than getting a little sticky with a silky-smooth glaze? You want your frosting easily spreadable and to hug the top of your pie crust. If it seems a little too thick go ahead and add a splash more maple syrup to thin it out with a little additional maple syrup.
Apple Bacon Jam Pop Tart with Maple Frosting
- 1 Baking Sheet
- 1 saucepan
- 1 Rolling Pin
- Parchment paper
Apple Bacon Jam Pop Tart
- 2 pie crust dough, prepped and chilled
- 1 lbs bacon, chopped
- 2 cups applesauce
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- pinch of kosher salt
- ⅛ cup brown sugar
- 1 ½ cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup maple syrup you may need an additional tbsp depending on thickness of the frosting
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add the chopped bacon to a saucepan over medium heat. Allow the bacon to cook until rendered and crispy.
- Remove the bacon from the pan and drain on a paper towel lined plate. Finely chop it and add it back into the pan along with the applesauce, cinnamon, salt, and brown sugar. Stir to combine.
- Let the bacon apple jam cook for 10-15 minutes until thickened and the moisture has cooked out. Let cool.
- Roll the pie crusts into two 8x12 rectangles.
- Spread the apple bacon jam onto the first pie crust, leaving a boarder. Top with the second pie crust.
- Use a fork to crimp and seal the edges. Place the pop tart onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Let the pop tart bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown. Allow to cool.
- Add all of the ingredients for the frosting to a bowl and mix until smooth and silky. If it seems a little too thick add a little additional maple syrup.
- Spread the frosting over the top of the pop tart.
- Slice into four and enjoy!
Leave a Reply