Pulled pork is the gift that keeps on giving. Give your leftover pulled pork a total makeover with The Ultimate Pork Birria Tacos.
Tacos are a food group unto themselves, such as Gluten Free Pork Panko Chicken Tinga Tacos. Whether you’re looking for a fun way to switch up Taco Tuesday or a new way to utilize leftovers, this birria recipe is sure to become a favorite.
The Ultimate Pork Birria Tacos takes you favorite leftover pulled pork and gives it new life in these easy to create and even more delicious to eat taco favorites. While birria is traditionally made with beef, this version works well with both leftover pork and also shredded chicken.
- Pulled Pork – Whether you have leftover smoked pork or leftover pulled pork cooked in the slow cooker or Instapot, pork is the perfect canvas for the complex and layered flavors of the consommé.
- Tomato Sauce – Add a little sweetness to the consommé while also giving it depth and a silky texture.
- Guajillo Peppers – These dried chiles come from the mirasol chili. They are mild and slightly sweet.
- Chipotle Puree – Adds both smoke and a kick of heat.
- Bay Leaf – Gives the sauce that all day cooked flavor. Herbaceous and a little floral.
- Cinnamon – Adds warmth and depth.
- Garlic – Savory and pungent, it adds depth to the sauce.
- Onion – Savory yet a little sweet, it adds another layer of flavor.
- Ground Thyme – Bright and slightly citrusy note that brings a note of herbaceous flavor.
- Oregano – A little minty and fresh, this gives a bright note to the sauce.
- Salt and Pepper – Seasons and accents all of the flavors.
- Cumin – Warm and earthy, this aromatic spice adds a mild smoky note.
How to Make the Ultimate Pork Birria Tacos
With the help of leftovers, this birria taco recipe comes together in no time! Heat up your grill and invite some friends over. The only thing missing is a pitcher of margaritas.
Time needed: 50 minutes
Preheat your grill to 450 degrees. Place a grill safe pan on the grates and allow it to fully heat.
Add the oil and onions to a pan and allow them to sauté until translucent.
Add the remaining ingredients to the pan and allow the sauce to cook until thickened, about 15 minutes. Remove the peppers and bay leaves.
Stir the shredded pork into the sauce.
Heat a small amount of oil in a skillet and add a tortilla. Sprinkle a little Dairy Free cheese on one side of the tortilla and then add your shredded meat. Fold the tortilla over and allow both sides to get crispy.
Serve the tacos with extra sauce for dipping and enjoy!
The pulled pork in this recipe can be substituted with leftover shredded chicken. For a quick cooking weeknight version, you can shred up your favorite grocery store rotisserie chicken.
I used Dairy Free cheese in this recipe. Feel free to use your favorite dairy cheese such as Oaxaca or quesadilla cheese.
- Grill – For this recipe I used my Aspire by Hestan grill.
- Grill Safe Skillet – You will want to use a grill safe skillet for this recipe. I used the Hestan NanoBond skillets which can take heat up to 1050 degrees. They are stain resistant, scratch resistant, and stick resistant while being nontoxic.
Top Tip for the Ultimate Pork Birria Tacos
The rich and complex consommé sauce for this recipe is the star of the show. While it only takes about 15 minutes for it to thicken on the grill, don’t rush the process. Allow it to simmer until it reaches your desired consistency. This will allow all of the flavors to marry and meld.
The Ultimate Pork Birria Tacos
- 1 grill
- 1 grill safe skillet
- 4 cups pulled pork or shredded chicken
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 2 dried Guajillo peppers
- 1 tbsp chipotle puree
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp cumin
- Preheat grill to 450 degrees. Place a grill safe skillet on the grates and allow it to heat through.
- Add oil and onions to the skillet. Cook the onions until they are translucent.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the skillet. Allow them to come to a simmer and cook for about 15 minutes or until thickened.
- Remove the bay leaf and peppers. Reserve 1 cup of the sauce for dipping.
- Add the pulled pork or shredded chicken and stir to combine.
- To build your tacos add a small amount of oil to a skillet. Place a corn tortilla in the skillet.
- Add Dairy Free cheese to one half of the tortilla followed by the shredded pork. Fold over and allow both sides of the taco to crisp.
- Repeat with remaining tacos.
- Serve with the reserved consommé for dipping.