Pop the bubbly and invite friends over for brunch! Gluten Free Sweet n Spicy Chicken and Waffles is a sassy spin on the classic.
I still remember the first time I tried chicken and waffles. It was love at first bite! I've made other versions, such as my Gluten Free Pretzel Crusted Chicken and Waffles with Rum Sauce. This is a sweet and sassy spin on a favorite.
Brunch is Served
Nothing says brunch like the combination of sweet and savory. Gluten Free Sweet n Spicy Chicken and Waffles gives you all of the flavor and texture you crave in this mashup.
There's something magic about the combination of airy, lightly sweet waffle with savory, crispy chicken. This recipe brings layers of flavor to both.
Starting with the waffle itself, use the help of your pantry! Use your favorite Gluten Free waffle mix for this perfect anytime creation. The addition of orange zest, pecans, and honey add layers of sweetness and also texture.
The chicken gets seasoned with Heartbeat Hot Sauce Lion's Mane Piri Piri, Heatonist #4. This hot sauce combines the natural sweetness of red bell peppers with fruit kick of habaneros. The lion's mane mushroom offers of an earthy note while lemon juice brings that bright flavor of piri piri.
Both Gluten Free pretzels and chopped pecans ensure that every bite of juicy flavorful chicken is packed with crunch. Finishing off is an additional drizzle of the Lion's Mane Piri Piri. This sauce was so good it didn't even last a week!
How to Make Gluten Free Sweet n Spicy Chicken and Waffles
Armed with your favorite Gluten Free waffle mix, this southern classic comes together effortlessly.
Time needed: 1 hour.
- In Crust We Trust
Add your pecans and Gluten Free pretzels to a food processor and pulse until they are a fine, sandy crumb. Add them to a bowl. In a separate bowl whisk together the Dairy Free milk, salt, and hot sauce. Toss the chicken tenders into the mixture and allow them to marinate for 30 minutes.
When ready to fry, remove the chicken tenders from the Dairy Free milk marinade and toss them in the pecan and pretzel crumbs, making sure they are fully coated.
- Fry Time
Heat your vegetable oil in a large skillet. Add your chicken tenders and allow each side to fry for about 3 minutes before flipping. When they are golden brown and the internal temperature is 165 degrees, remove them to a paper towel lined plate to drain. Sprinkle with kosher salt.
- Waffle it Up
Make your waffle mix according to the package directions with the addition of the juice and zest of 1 orange, chopped pecans, and honey.
- Finishing Touch
To build your Gluten Free Sweet n Spicy Chicken and Waffles top your waffles with the crispy chicken and drizzle on extra hot sauce.
Top Tip for Gluten Free Sweet n Spicy Chicken and Waffles
When you get ready to fry your chicken, always make sure that your oil is fully heated. If the oil isn't hot enough your chicken will get greasy and soggy instead of crispy. You can easily test to see if the oil is hot enough by either sprinkling a little of the crumb mixture into the oil or dipping the handle of a wooden spoon into the hot oil. If bubbles appear around the spoon, it's hot enough.
Gluten Free Sweet n Spicy Chicken and Waffles
- 1 Food Processor
- 2 shallow bowls
- 1 Large skillet
- 1 waffle maker
Pretzel Fried Chicken
- 1 ½ lbs chicken tenders
- 1 cup Dairy Free milk
- 1 tbsp Heartbeat Hot Sauce Lion's Mane Piri Piri
- 2 tsp kosher salt, divided
- 2 cups Gluten Free pretzels
- ½ cup pecans
- 1-2 cups vegetable oil Should have 1" in the bottom of your skillet
Gluten Free Waffles
- favorite Gluten Free waffle mix plus the ingredients to make them
- juice and zest of 1 orange
- ⅓ cup pecans, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp honey
Pretzel Fried Chicken
- Add your pretzels and pecans to a food processor. Pulse until they form a fine, sandy crumb. Pour the crumb mixture into a shallow dish.
- Add the dairy free milk, 1 tsp of kosher salt, and hot sauce to another shallow dish and whisk to combine.
- Add the chicken tenders into the milk mixture and toss so they are all coated. Allow to marinate for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the milk mixture and add it to the pretzel mixture. Make sure they are fully coated.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Carefully add the chicken tenders into the hot oil, careful not to crowd. You can fry in batches.
- Cook each side for about 3 minutes before flipping, allowing them to get golden brown.
- When they are golden and the internal temperature is 165 degrees, remove them to a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Sprinkle with remaining 1 tsp kosher salt.
Gluten Free Waffles
- Mix your waffles according to the package directions with the addition of the orange juice and zest, honey, and pecans.
- Cook your waffles.
- To build your Sweet n Spicy Chicken and Waffles add crispy fried chicken to the top of a waffle. Drizzle on extra hot sauce.