What is your favorite smell? There’s something magic about the aroma of all things pumpkin and their warm spices perfuming the air. It’s part of why so many people look forward to autumn. You can have fall year round with these Gluten Free Spiced Pumpkin Raisin Muffins.
There are two groups of people. Those who wait in anticipation all year for their beloved pumpkin spice lattes, and those who roll their eyes at all things PSL.
It’s not just the latte lovers that await the arrival of pumpkin season. Everything from candles and lotions to donuts, cereal, and candy get that pumpkin spice treatment and have their own following.
Putting the Spice in Gluten Free Spiced Pumpkin Raisin Muffins
Pumpkin and warm spices go together like peas and carrots. The mellow naturally sweet yet mild flavor of pumpkin both enhances and is enhanced by the warm spicy flavors. For this recipe we are using nutmeg, allspice, and cinnamon.
Not only will the pumpkin be enhanced by this combination, but the sweet bananas joining the mix also benefit. The banana, along with the pumpkin, also provides the tender moist bite that makes these irresistible.
Muffins Made Easy
Muffins are one of my favorite things to bake. I think they’re perfect any time of day, but they’re quick and easy to throw together and have something warm out of the oven in the morning. I am going to break down the keys to give you total Gluten Free Spiced Pumpkin Raisin Muffin success.
You might laugh at the first tip. However at some point, we’ve all done this. Make sure you are buying a can of pumpkin or pumpkin puree. You don’t want the pumpkin pie filling as you’re going to add your own spices to it.
Speaking of spices, check the date on them. Do you only pull out that allspice or nutmeg once a year? Now might be a good time to replace them. Fresh spices bring all of the flavor and aroma while older spices offer up a muted version.
When it comes to bananas for baking, the riper, the better. They not only provide moisture, they add natural sweetness to the muffins. This is a great use of bananas that are a day or two past their optimal eating.
The most important step or word of advice, don’t over mix! The goal with any baked good is to create an delectable tender bite. One of the easiest ways to achieve that is by just combining the ingredients.
Now that I know you’re craving Gluten Free Spiced Pumpkin Raisin Muffins, let’s get baking! Love to bake? Make sure you check out my recipe for Banana Sheet Cake with Espresso Chocolate Ganache.
Gluten Free Spiced Pumpkin Raisin Muffins
- muffin pan
- Cupcake liners
- Mixing Bowl
- 1 cup canned pumpkin
- 2 ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- pinch of allspice
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 3/4 cup Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup raisins
- pepitas and chopped pecans for topping
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Line your muffin tin with cupcake liners.
- In a mixing bowl add your pumpkin, bananas, eggs, sugar, and vanilla. Mix well until the sugar is dissolved.
- Add the rest of your ingredients to the bowl and mix until just combined.
- Using an ice cream scoop or measuring cup, evenly distribute your batter into the muffin tin, filling about 2/3 of the cup.
- Sprinkle the pepitas and chopped pecans over the top.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 5 minutes and then reduce the temp to 350 and bake for 20-30 minutes more or until the tops are golden brown and a tooth pick comes out clean. Enjoy!