I love making new traditions while celebrating old. These Gluten Free Sausage Balls with Pork Panko are an updated twist on a southern classic.
I clearly remember the first time I ate a sausage ball. My husband and I had just moved to North Carolina, and it was one of the first southern dishes I tried. My friend had made them for a party and when I couldn’t stop eating them she told me how easy they were to make.
A Southern Classic Reinvented
Sausage balls are a southern staple. Especially during the holidays when people are hosting parties and need an easy appetizer they’re the perfect poppable treat to make. These Gluten Free Sausage Balls with Pork Panko take the southern classic and give them even more flavor.
You will find multiple versions of sausage balls in the south. At their heart, they’re a combination of sausage, cheese, and baking or biscuit mix. Everything is mixed together, formed into balls, and baked.
For this recipe I am using Bacon’s Heir Pork Panko in both the mixture and the dredge. Not only do these bread crumbs have only two simple clean ingredients, pork skin and rock salt, it’s also both Gluten and Carb Free.
I love the savory flavor it adds to every bite while also adding texture. Pork Panko is an even one to one swap for your traditional bread crumbs. You can use it for battering everything from chicken to your favorite breaded vegetables, while also using it as a binder like in meatloaf or these sausage balls.
In addition to the Pork Panko these irresistible bites also get a ton of savory flavor from Dairy Free cheddar cheese, hot sauce, and a fresh pop from green onions. When it comes to the sausage make sure you pick your favorite. You do want a loose bulk sausage though for easy mixing.
Gluten Free Sausage Balls with Pork Panko, Easy Delicious!
These bites sized appetizers need to come with a warning. They’re too easy and so delicious you will be craving your next one. Let me take you step by step so you can serve up your friends and family what’s soon to be their new favorite.
- Pregame! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×11 casserole dish with nonstick baking spray.
- Add all of your ingredients to a bowl and mix until fully combined.
- Use a 1″ to 1 1/2″ inch scoop to make uniform balls. This will allow them to cook evenly.
- Bake for 20-25 or until lightly golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite dipper. Honey mustard and spicy brown mustard are both great options.
- Make sure to save yourself a few. These disappear fast!
Are you looking for more ideas with Pork Panko? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten and Dairy Free Twice Baked Potato Casserole. Now let’s make Gluten Free Sausage Balls with Pork Panko.
Gluten Free Sausage Balls with Pork Panko
- Mixing Bowl
- 1' to 1 1/2" scoop
- 9×11 casserole dish
- 1 lbs pork sausage bulk
- 1 cup Pork Panko, divided
- 3/4 cup Dairy Free milk
- 1 scallion, chopped
- a couple of dashes of your favorite hot sauce
- 1 1/2 cup Gluten Free baking mix
- 1 cup Dary Free cheddar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×11 casserole dish with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Add all of your ingredients to a bowl saving 1/2 a cup of the Pork Panko. Mix until fully combined.
- Form the sausage mixture into 1" to 1 1/2" balls.
- Lightly roll the sausage balls into the remaining 1/2 cup of Pork Panko to coat.
- Place into prepared casserole dish.
- Bake for 20-25minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve with your favorite dipper. Enjoy!