Who likes a sweet treat at their brunch? These Gluten Free Pumpkin Aebleskiver Danish Pancakes are the perfect poppable bite to add to your weekend plans.
You’re might be wondering, what exactly is an aebleskiver? The best way to describe them are the ultimate mashup between a pancake and a donut. A little cakey, a little light and airy, and 100% irrisistable.
It’s All in the Pan
Gluten Free Pumpkin Aebleskiver Danish Pancakes are going to be the easiest treat you ever make. Whiles this is great news, be warned! Don’t be surprised if your friends and family start asking for them weekly.
An aebleskiver pan helps achieve that perfect spherical shape. You can easily find them online and they’re not that expensive. The first time making them will get you inspired to make them again. Like I said, you have been warned!
These traditional Danish snacks literally translate to apple slices because of their shape. They are traditionally served at family gatherings as well from street vendors, especially during the holiday season.
The batter is poured into the greased wells of the aebleskiver pan. I like to use Dairy Free butter for this. Flipping the puffs is easy with a toothpick, skewer, or even just a fork.
I use my favorite Gluten Free pancake mix, Josie’s Best The Pancake to make these even easier. Josie’s mixes are all top 8 allergen free. This means they’re gluten free, dairy free, tree nut and peanut free. Josie’s is a great pantry staple to have to make fun and festive bites such as these that much easier.
Batter Up with Gluten Free Pumpkin Aebleskiver Danish Pancakes
If you can mix up pancake mix, you can make these with just a couple extra steps. Let me walk you through the process.
The first part of building the puffy pillowy texture of the Gluten Free Pumpkin Aebleskiver Danish Pancakes is to whip three egg whites. Beat them until they’re thick stiff clouds.
Once you’ve beaten your egg whites, mix your pancake mix according to the package directions with one exception, don’t add the egg. The additions you are going to add are pumpkin puree and spice along with vanilla and an egg yolk.
After that use a spatula to fold in the egg whites. Be gentle to keep them delicate and keep it airy.
Meanwhile heat your aebleskiver pan over medium low heat and grease it with Dairy Free butter. Add approximately 2 tablespoons of the batter to each cup. Be careful not to overfill them. It’s time to flip when bubbles begin to form. Using a skewer or toothpick gently flip them over so the other side can brown.
Finish these off with a combination of cinnamon, sugar, and unsalted caramel powder. For a final touch that takes these over the top drizzle them with your favorite Dairy Free caramel. You’re welcome!
Are you looking for more fun breakfast ideas? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Peanut Butter and Jelly French Toast. Now let’s get cooking!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Aebleskiver Danish Pancakes
- Mixing Bowl
- Aebleskiver pan
- Gluten Free pancake mix
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 1/2 tsp pumpkin spice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 egg whites
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp unsalted caramel powder
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- Dairy Free caramel sauce
- Add 3 egg whites to a mixing bowl. Mix on high until the egg whites are thick and fluffy and hold stiff peaks.
- In a separate bowl mix your pancake mix according to package directions, OMITTING the egg.
- Add an egg yolk, pumpkin puree, pumpkin spice, and vanilla to the batter. Mix to combine.
- Gentle fold in the egg whites to the pancake batter.
- Heat your aebleskiver pan on medium-low. Brush the cups with Dairy Free butter.
- Add approximately 2 tbsp of batter to each cup, careful not to over fill.
- Cook the first side for 2-3 minutes. When you see bubbles begin to form gently flip them using a skewer or toothpick.
- Cook the other side for 2-3 minutes more.
- Combine the sugar, cinnamon, and caramel powder.
- Roll the aebleskivers in the mixture as they come out.
- Drizzle with Dairy Free caramel. Enjoy!