My mom always said the best recipes come from mistakes and leftovers. Leftovers are sometimes our blank canvas to get creative and think outside of the box...or casserole dish. This Gluten Free Pulled Pork Cuban Fried Rice Bowl is the perfect way to use that leftover pulled pork and leftover cooked rice.
Pulled pork is one of those gifts that keep on giving. But sometimes it's easy to get stuck repeating the same recipes. We all love those pulled pork nachos or sandwiches, but how about mixing things up?
This Gluten Free Pulled Pork Cuban Fried Rice Bowl takes leftovers and combines them with bursts of fresh ingredients and pantry staples. It's perfect for a quick weeknight dinner, or even just meal prep for lunch the next day.
Besides the pork, rice is the other major component of this dish. You can use leftover rice, or make the rice ahead of time. You want it cold and dry to get that slightly crisp bite that makes fried rice so cravable.
When cooking the rice in advance add three bay leaves to your cooking liquid. This will add depth of flavor and help perfume your rice. It's all about building layers of flavor, especially when it comes to leftover redos!
Building Your Gluten Free Pulled Pork Cuban Fried Rice Bowl
Every component of this dish brings both texture and flavor to these bowls. From the earthy black beans to the cool creamy avocado. Pimento stuffed green olives offer up a hit of brininess to cut through the rich pork.
For a pop of sweetness, fried plantains are the crowning bite of these bowls. When picking your plantains you'll want to look for ones that are the same shade as banana's when you know you need to make banana bread...they should be dark, yet firm.
While pulled pork is the perfect protein to pack into these bowls, don't be afraid to open up your fridge and let the leftovers speak to you! Leftover chicken? Go ahead and throw it in. Leftover steak would also work, but don't add it until the end.
Looking for more ideas to use up pulled pork? Make sure you check out my recipe for Pulled Pork Potato Skins.
Gluten Free Pulled Pork Cuban Fried Rice Bowl
- Large skillet
- 1 tbsp garlic olive oil
- 2 cups cooked pulled pork
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 jalapeno, diced
- 2 cups cooked white rice (cooked with 2 bay leaves)
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- ¼ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, halved
- 15 oz black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 ½ cups pimento stuffed green olives
- 1 plantain, sliced and pan fried
- sliced avocado and cilantro for serving
- Heat a skillet over medium heat with the olive oil.
- Add the pulled pork, onions, and jalapeno. Sauté until the onion is translucent.
- Add the cooked rice and seasonings. Stir to combine. Allow the rice to sit for 4-5 minutes so it can begin to get crispy. Stir and cook 10 minutes more.
- Add the black beans, olives, and tomatoes, stirring to combine and then add the plantains.
- Top each with sliced avocado and cilantro. Enjoy!