What is one of your favorite cozy meals? There’s just something about soup that instantly feels like comfort. One of my top three favorites is Gluten Free Italian Wedding Soup with Kale.
I think we can agree there is just something about that combination of meatballs and pasta that equals total comfort. Add it to a warm broth and it’s the perfect weeknight hug we all need.
Mini Meatballs, That’s Amore
While the meatballs in this Gluten Free Italian Wedding Soup with Kale might be small, they pack a ton of flavor. Alone they are irresistibly poppable, but added to this soup they become something even more.
For this recipe we are using ground chicken as the base for the meatballs. I love using ground chicken not only for the lean protein, but also because it’s quick cooking and a great canvas for flavors.
These meatballs are seasoning with one of my absolute favorite blends, Everyday Herb from Outside Table. This seasoning includes. organic thyme, organic oregano, organic cayenne and chilis for a little warmth, and sea salt among some of its ingredients.
Outside Table creates small batch seasonings and barbecue sauce using fresh organic ingredients. There are no artificial ingredients or preservatives, and their ingredients are regionally sourced. They’re also Dairy Free, Gluten Free, and Soy Free.
In addition to perfuming the meatballs, Everyday Herb is also added to the soup itself. A splash of white wine adds an acidic brightness while fresh dill finishes it off. A colorful rainbow of fresh vegetables including Tuscan kale make this soup both nourishing and hearty.
Soup’s On with Gluten Free Italian Wedding Soup with Kale
Soup in less than an hour? Absolutely! This soup isn’t just comforting and filling, it’s also easy and a perfect weeknight meal. The secret is baking the meatballs.
- Pregame! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. This will prevent your meatballs from sticking.
- Add all of your meatball ingredients to a bowl and mix until just combined. Use a 1″-1 1/2″ scoop to equally portion your meatballs. This will allow them to bake evenly. A tablespoon works great for this.
- While your meatballs are baking prepare the soup base for your Gluten Free Italian Wedding Soup with Kale. Sauté your onions, celery, and carrots until the onions are translucent. Add your white wine, just a splash, and Everyday Herb. Then add everything else except for your pasta.
- You want to pick your favorite small shaped Gluten Free pasta for this recipe. I used orzo. Once your soup has come to a boil and the vegetables are tender add your pasta and allow it to cook in the soup.
- The final step is adding your baked meatballs into the soup, along with verdant fresh dill.
Do you love soup as much as I do? Make sure you check out my recipe for Coconut Cauliflower Sweet Potato Bisque. Now let’s get cooking!
Gluten Free Italian Wedding Soup with Kale
- Baking Sheet
- Mixing Bowl
- Parchment paper
- Stock Pot
- 1 lbs ground chicken
- 1/3 cup Dairy Free parmesan cheese
- 1 tsp Everyday Herb
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp oat milk
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- 1/2 cup Gluten Free panko bread crumbs
Italian Wedding Soup
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, diced large
- 1 1/2 cups carrots, sliced
- 1 1/2 cups celery, sliced
- splash of white wine
- 1/2 tsp Everyday Herb
- 1 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 9 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup Gluten Free pasta, small, such as orzo
- 1/8 cup fresh dill, chopped
- 1 bunch Tuscan/dino kale, stems removed and chopped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Add all of the ingredients to a bowl. Mix gently until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Using a scoop, portion meatballs into 1" to 1 1/2" balls. Place on the prepared baking sheet and bake for 25-30 minutes until golden brown and internal temp is 165.
- While the meatballs are baking prepare the soup.
Italian Wedding Soup
- Heat a large stock pot over medium-low. Add olive oil. Add onions, celery, and carrots and sauté for 5-8 minutes until the onions are translucent.
- Add a splash of wine, garlic, salt and pepper, Everyday Herb, kale, and chicken stock. Stir to combine.
- When the vegetables are tender and the soup has come to a boil add the pasta and cook till done.
- Add the baked meatballs and fresh dill. Stir to combine.