What is on your holiday table, turkey or ham? Regardless of the protein that takes center stage, this Gluten Free Festive Cranberry Apple Sauce will be the perfect accompaniment.
It seems like cranberry sauce is one of those divisive holiday foods. You have the relatives who demand the gelatinous can shaped mystery sauce on the table while there are others who won’t touch it in any form. This fresh and vibrant sauce is sure to make everyone gathered around your table go back for seconds.
The Sauce is Boss
When it comes to cranberry sauce people seem to serve it mainly just with turkey. The beauty of this Gluten Free Festive Cranberry Apple Sauce is not only its balance of flavors but also it’s diversity.
The bright burst of fresh cranberries is cooked in the naturally sweet caress of apple juice. Bringing out the sweetness is a combination of brown and granulated sugar, with the warm accent of cinnamon. This just smells like the holidays as it simmers and reduces.
While this cranberry sauce is the perfect companion to your favorite turkey recipe, it’s equally at home next to your favorite pork loin or crown roast. It’s also an ideal glaze for your smoked ham. The combination of crimson cranberries and savory ham is irresistible…as is the next day sandwich with this sauce as the star holding all of your favorite leftovers together.
In addition to being the ideal companion to all of your mains, this is a great accompaniment to your charcuterie board. I’ve also topped The Ultimate Gluten and Dairy Free Cheesecake with this.
Easy Homemade Gluten Free Festive Cranberry Apple sauce
This cranberry sauce is as easy as opening a bag of fresh cranberries. There isn’t even any chopping required. Let’s break down all the steps.
- Add all of your ingredients to a stock pot on medium heat.
- Always check the date of your spices. This sauce has cinnamon in it and spices loose their potency as they sit.
- Allow the sauce to simmer for 20 minutes. It will reduce down and the cranberries with soften. It naturally thickens as it cooks.
- Pour into an air tight container and allow it to chill for two hours. This allows all of the flavors to marry.
It really is that simple! Now let’s get cooking!
Gluten Free Festive Cranberry Apple Sauce
- 12 oz fresh cranberries
- 8 oz apple juice
- pinch of salt
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 2/3 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- Add all of the ingredients to a stockpot on medium heat.
- Cook for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the sauce is reduced and the cranberries soft and tender.
- Store in an airtight container and allow to chill for 2 hours.