What’s your favorite way to celebrate all things fall and Halloween? There’s something about candy apples that brings the magic of the season while also celebrating autumn’s harvest. These Gluten Free Festive Candied Apple Pie Bars pack all the flavor of candy apples in a fun handheld treat.
When it comes to deciding on the perfect dessert for your next Halloween party or fall get together, these colorful and cheery apple desserts are a great option. Loaded with bites of spiced fresh apples, these are as fun to make as they are delicious to eat.
Easy As Pie
This recipe for Gluten Free Festive Candied Apple Pie Bars combines a pantry staple with fresh ingredients. When it comes to desserts you want to entertain with, it helps to take a helpful shortcut.
The crust and crumble of these beautiful bars are made from Gluten Free and Dairy Free refrigerated sugar cookie dough. You can use your favorite. I am using Sweet Loren’s Sugar Cookie Dough. Certified Vegan and Gluten Free, Sweet Loren’s is made from all clean ingredients.
To balance the sweetness of the sugar cookie crust and the candied glaze, I use tart and crisp Granny Smith apples. They keep their texture while also giving that sassy tart pop.
What’s a candied apple without that gloriously bold crimson pop of red? Tying in the sweet cookie crust and cinnamon and allspice kissed apples is a dramatic drizzle of candied glaze. This would be a fun dessert to get your kids involved with and let them decorate.
Baking Your Gluten Free Festive Candied Apple Pie Bars
These easy and festive bars come together in three easy steps. Just think of them as crust and crumble, apples, and gorgeous scarlet drizzle.
We’re using two packages of sugar cookie dough in this recipe. The first package becomes the crust. Simply break up the cookie dough and press it into your prepared 8×8 baking dish.
Next comes the spiced cinnamon sugar sprinkle, followed by the apples. You want to slice your apples as thinly as possible. A mandolin is a great tool for this.
After the apples get layered on top of the sugar cookie crust, you’re going to break up the second package of sugar cookie dough and sprinkle it over the top. Now it’s time to bake!
Is there anything better than the aroma of warm spices, cookies, and apples baking in the oven? These Gluten Free Festive Candied Apple Pie Bars combine all three for a tantalizing confection.
Once baked you want these bars to cool completely. You can make the bar portion ahead of time and then finish them up with the candied apple drizzle.
To make your candied apple drizzle, you’re going to want to use a candy thermometer. You need three simple ingredients, sugar, corn syrup, and water. To make sure your sugar doesn’t burn, keep the mixture at a medium-low heat and continually stir. Once the mixture reaches 300 degrees, you can add your food coloring. Just a word of caution from experience, carefully add the food coloring as it can splatter. There’s nothing like wearing your candied apple drizzle!
Are you looking for more bar recipe ideas? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Triple Chocolate Skillet Cookie. Now let’s make Gluten Free Festive Candied Apple Pie Bars!
Gluten Free Festive Candied Apple Pie Bars
- 8×8 baking dish
- candy thermometer
Apple Pie Bars
- 2 pkgs Gluten Free sugar cookie dough
- 2 Granny Smith apples
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 2 tbsp brown sugar
- pinch of allspice
Candied Apple Glaze
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1/3 cup light corn syrup
- 1/2 cup water
- a few drops of red food coloring
Apple Pie Bars
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Line an 8×8 baking dish with parchment paper or spray with nonstick baking spray.
- Break up the first package of cookie dough and press firmly into the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the brown sugar and spices over the cookie dough crust.
- Thinly slice the apples. A mandolin works great for this. Layer the apple slices on top of the sugar cookie crust.
- Break up the second package of sugar cookie dough and crumble on top of the apple layer.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes until the top is golden brown. Allow to cool completely before drizzling on the candied apple glaze.
Candied Apple Glaze
- Add the sugar, water, and corn syrup to a saucepan on medium-low heat. Continually stir until the mixture reaches 300 degree with a candy thermometer.
- Carefully add the food coloring, keeping watch that it doesn't splatter. Stir to completely incorporate.
- Drizzle over the cooled apple pie bars. Enjoy!