Can we agree that brookies are one of the greatest inventions ever? I don’t know about you, but there’s something fabulously luxurious about biting into that perfect combination of chocolate chip cookie and brownie. These Gluten Free Decadent Brookie Turtle Bars will satisfy whatever you’re craving and become a new favorite treat.
As much as I love the process of making elaborate desserts such as my Gluten Free Eclairs with Dairy Free Pastry Cream it’s nice to have quick and easy recipes on hand. When the craving hits or you need a dessert to share you don’t want to spend hours in the kitchen.
It’s All About Pantry Staples
When it comes to creating quick and easy sweet treats it helps to always have a few pantry staples on hand. For the Gluten Free Decadent Brookie Turtle Bars I am using Sweet Loren’s cookie dough.
I love Sweet Loren’s products because they are both Gluten Free and Dairy Free. In addition they are non-GMO and made of plant based ingredients. They’re free of high fructose corn syrup, hydrogenated oils, and artificial ingredients. You can actually pronounce all of the ingredients and feel good about serving them to your family and friends.
For this recipe I am using both the chocolate chip cookie dough and the brownie cookie dough. We’re making brookies after all!
The chocolate chip cookie dough and brownie cookie dough bring the brookie to this recipe, so let’s add the decadent and the turtle. Buttery crunchy pecans give that layer of texture. Dairy Free dark chocolate gives a little bitterness as well as richness.
But the most important part is that ooey, gooey caramel. You only need one ingredient to make this Dairy Free caramel, Dairy Free sweetened condensed milk.
Gluten Free Decadent Brookie Turtle Bars, the Ultimate Dessert
These chewy bars give you all the molten caramel texture you want in a turtle hugged between the perfect brownie and chocolate chip cookie bite. If you can open a package of cookie dough, you can make these.
Let’s start with the base of these bars, Sweet Loren’s Brownie Cookies. You’re simply going to add them to your prepared pan and bake them for 8 minutes.
The middle of these bars is where all of that turtle flavor comes from, the combination of caramel, pecans, and chocolate. To make you’re caramel you’re going to add your Dairy Free sweetened condensed milk to a sauce pan and cook it over medium heat until a light golden color. You don’t want it to get too much color as it will get too hard.
Pour the luscious caramel over the brownies, add your dark chocolate, and pecans. Turtle layer done! Then break up your chocolate chip cookies over the top of the bars and bake for an additional 15-17 minutes until the cookies are golden brown and the caramel is bubbling. Allow to cool before cutting, and enjoy!
Gluten Free Decadent Brookie Turtle Bars
- 1 8×8 baking dish
- 1 pkg Sweet Lorens chocolate chip cookie dough
- 1 pkg Sweet Lorens brownie cookie dough
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup dark chocolate, I used dairy free
- 1 can Dairy Free sweetened condensed milk
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees.
- Spray an 8×8 baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- Add the brownie cookies into the pan and bake for 8 minutes.
- While the brownie portion is cooking add the sweetened condensed milk to a saucepan over medium heat. Continually stir it until it turns a pale golden color. If it becomes too golden the caramel will become too hard.
- Carefully remove the pan from the oven. Use a fork or offset spatula to spread the brownie cookie around so it fully covers the bottom of the pan.
- Sprinkle the chocolate chips on top, followed by the pecans. Pour the caramel over the top.
- Break up the chocolate chip cookie dough into smaller pieces and sprinkle over the top of the caramel.
- Let the brookie bars bake for 15-17 minutes until the caramel starts to bubble.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.