Crispy, crunchy, creamy, and savory. Gluten Free Crispy BBQ Fried Shrimp Sandwiches pack all of the textures you crave for the ultimate bite.
I love fried shrimp, like my Gluten Free Crispy Pork Panko Shrimp Po'Boys. There's something magic about the crispy crust combined with the snappy bite of sweet shrimp. Give these a try and they are sure to become a new favorite.
Crispy Crunchy Crust
Gluten Free Crispy BBQ Fried Shrimp Sandwiches are all about the combination of textures and fresh, vibrant flavors. From the smoky kiss of barbecue in the crust to the sweet and creamy corn aioli that makes these so special, these sandwiches have it all.
These sandwiches need to come with a warning. While the recipe only calls for a pound of shrimp, you might just want to make extra because you will be snacking on them before they even hit the bread.
Part of what makes these shrimp so irresistible is the kiss of barbecue seasoning that permeates every bite of shrimp. I am using my favorite, Outside Table Weekend BBQ Seasoning.
Outside Table Weekend BBQ Seasoning combines earthy paprika and anchoes with smoky chipotles, spicy cayenne, and the aromatics of onion and garlic powder with just enough sweetness from sugar. I love that all of their products are certified USDA Organic. They're small batch created and artisanal.
Every crispy fried shrimp needs the perfect sauce. For these sandwiches we're creating a corn aioli. The summer sweetness of corn is pureed with creamy mayo and the bright tang of lime. Drizzle it, drench, it, dip it, and definitely make extra!
Bringing even more texture and crunch is napa cabbage. The final touch for a little herbaceous pop is cilantro. Feel free to leave this off or substitute with a fresh chives.
How to Make Gluten Free Crispy BBQ Fried Shrimp Sandwiches
These fresh and savory sandwiches come together in just a few easy steps. Remember, make extra shrimp and sauce!
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Need a fabulous meal in a hurry? Gluten Free Crispy BBQ Fried Shrimp Sandwiches are ready in less than half an hour.
- The Sauce is Boss
To make your corn aioli, place all of the ingredients into a blender and blend until smooth. Allow it to refrigerate until you're ready to use it.
- The Heat is On
Place a large skillet over medium heat and add your oil. Allow the oil to heat through. You want it at about 350 degrees.
- Batter Up
Combine mesa and the Weekend BBQ Seasoning. Dip the shrimp into the mixture, making sure both sides are coated.
- Into the Fryer
Add the shrimp into the hot oil, careful not to crowd. You can work in batches. Allow the first side to cook for 2-3 minutes before flipping. Cook the second side for another 2-3 minutes until golden brown.
- Cool Down
Remove the shrimp from the hot oil and place them on a paper towel lined plate to drain. Sprinkle with a little extra Weekend BBQ Seasoning.
- Between the Buns
To build your sandwiches add a layer of shredded napa cabbage. Drizzle the corn aioli over the top. Add your shrimp. Finally garnish with cilantro.
The key to fried shrimp that is crispy on the outside without being burnt or overcooked is to make sure your oil is at the right temperature. An instant read thermometer is great for this, but if you don't have one you can always sprinkle a little of the masa into the hot oil. If it bubbles immediately but doesn't burn, you're good to fry up your shrimp!
Gluten Free Crispy BBQ Fried Shrimp Sandwiches
- 1 Blender
- 1 Large skillet
- 1 cup corn
- ½ cup mayonnaise
- 1 lime, juiced
- pinch of salt
BBQ Fried Shrimp Sandwiches
- 1 lbs large shrimp, peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 1 cup masa can substitute with cornmeal
- 1 tbsp Outside Table Weekend BBQ Seasoning
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 3 cups napa cabbage, shredded
- 4 Gluten Free burger or hotdog buns
- fresh cilantro, optional
- Add all of the ingredients to a blender. Blend until smooth.
- Allow the corn aioli to refrigerate until ready to serve.
BBQ Fried Shrimp Sandwiches
- Place a large skillet over medium heat and add the oil. Allow it to heat to 350 degrees.
- Add the masa and BBQ seasoning to a plate and mix to combine.
- Dip the shrimp into the masa, making sure both sides are fully coated. Shake off any excess.
- Gently place the shrimp into the hot oil, careful not to crowd. You can always fry in batches.
- Allow the first side of the shrimp to cook for 2-3 minutes before flipping. Cook the second side 2-3 minutes more until golden brown.
- Remove the shrimp to a paper towel lined plate to drain off the excess oil.
- Sprinkle with a little extra Weekend BBQ Seasoning.
- To build your sandwiches place shredded napa cabbage into the bottom of your buns.
- Drizzle on the corn aioli.
- Top with fried shrimp. Garnish with fresh cilantro if desired.
Leave a Reply