There are just some ingredients that as soon as you see them in a recipe, you know you’re in for an experience. Some of the best dishes have very little to do with the amount of ingredients, but simply the quality. Gluten Free Chicken Thighs with Spiced Cherry Glaze is such a dish.
Spiced rum. Anytime spiced rum joins the party, you know good eats are ahead. This beautiful dish combines spiced rum, fresh cherries, and the sweet tangy flavor of balsamic.
A Taste of the Tropics
With one ingredient, this chicken gets a boost of flavor. Spiced rum isn’t just for the floaters in your pina coladas or dark and stormy cocktails. Depending on the brand, you will get accents of cinnamon, rosemary, peppercorns, cardamom, etc.
Equal parts spiced rum and balsamic vinegar get reduced down with a handful of fresh ingredients. The result? A glossy, glazy, hug your chicken sauce. The warm spices of the rum combined with tangy balsamic and tart cherries create that perfect sweet and savory flavor.
Gluten Free Chicken Thighs with Spiced Cherry Glaze, Breaking it Down
This roasted chicken dish is an almost one pan meal. Let’s break down just how easy it is along with a couple tips to make it even more perfect.
First, and it might seem so simple, it starts with the quality of ingredients. Pick a spiced rum that you love. Go for summer ripe cherries. Make sure the star of the dish, the chicken, is a brand you know and trust.
For the crispiest chicken skin, salt your chicken thighs ahead of time and allow them to air dry a little. A wire rack on a baking sheet is great for this. Even just 20 minutes will ensure a crispier skin.
The sauce in these Gluten Free Chicken Thighs with Spiced Cherry Glaze is truly what makes the dish so special. Everything goes into a stock pot and is simmered and reduced. While it only takes about 20 minutes, don’t rush the process. Allow it to get thick, luscious, and gloss.
Now that you have the basics, let’s make Gluten Free Chicken Thighs with Spiced Cherry Glaze! Need another easy chicken dish? Make sure you check out my recipe for Easy Fig Miso Glazed Chicken with Mushroom Leek Rice.
Gluten Free Chicken Thighs with Spiced Cherry Glaze
- Cast iron skillet or baking dish
- 2 lbs chicken thighs
- 3 cups Brussels sprouts, trimmed, cut in half
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp garlic olive oil
- 2 cups cherries, pitted
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/2 cup spiced rum
- 2 tsp fresh thyme, chopped
- 1 cinnamon stick
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- Add the Brussels sprouts to the baking dish. Drizzle with garlic olive oil.
- Place chicken on top of the Brussels sprouts. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the chicken skin is golden and crispy and the internal temp reads 165.
- While the chicken is roasting, add the remaining ingredients to a saucepan along with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until sauce is reduced and glossy. Taste for seasoning. Remove cinnamon stick.
- Pour sauce over the chicken and Brussels sprouts. Enjoy!