What is your favorite comfort food? There’s just something about crispy, crunchy, juicy chicken slathered in a rich and savory gravy that’s like an immediate hug. Gluten Free Chicken Fried Chicken with Pepper Gravy is sure to become a new comfort food classic in your cooking repertoire.
Creating comfort food shouldn’t have to be difficult. When you start with the right ingredients and allow them to shine, you can have a dinner to remember on the table in no time.
Is there anything better than cutting into a piece of chicken and hearing that crunch just before you reveal how tender and juicy it is? Gluten Free Chicken Fried Chicken with Pepper Gravy gives you everything you crave in that ultimate southern staple while being completely Gluten Free and Dairy Free.
You can’t have chicken friend chicken without the peppery gravy. Rich, decadent, savory, and creamy it’s always a crowd pleaser. For this recipe I am using Outside Table Simply SPG. This spice blend is the perfect balance of salt, pepper, and garlic that not only delivers on bold flavor but also texture.
All of Outside Table’s products are hand crafted in small batches with Certified Organic ingredients. They are preservative free and free of artificial ingredients. The Simply SPG not only delivers that crave worthy flavor to the gravy, it also adds a layer of flavor to the breading for the chicken. Paprika and hot sauce bring both an earthy smoky flavor, and also a little kick.
If you’re wondering what to serve your chicken fried chicken with, my favorite sidekick to this is mashed potatoes. A creamy mound of potatoes offers up the ideal bed begging to be covered in gravy.
Frying Up Gluten Free Chicken Fried Chicken with Pepper Gravy
Get out your favorite cast iron skillet or fry pan. With just a few simple steps you’ll be serving up this soul satisfying dish.
- Create your breading station for your chicken. Your egg wash and Gluten Free panko and flour mixture go in two separate bowls to make for an easy process.
- Add your ingredients for the panko coating to a blender and pulse until it’s a fine sandy crumb. The finer texture will help deliver that crunch.
- Make sure your oil is fully heated to 350 degrees before frying your chicken. We’re doing a shallow fry for this recipe so you want enough oil to coat the bottom of your pan.
- Allow the first side of the chicken to cook for 4-5 minutes or until it’s golden brown before flipping it and cooking it another 4-5 minutes. You want it golden brown on the outside and the internal temperature should be 165 degrees.
- Allow the chicken to drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- To create the gravy for your Gluten Free Chicken Fried Chicken with Pepper Gravy there’s no need to create a roux.
- Add your Dairy Free milk, SPG, kosher salt, and onion powder to a small saucepan over medium heat and bring to a boil.
- Mix together beef broth and cornstarch. The cornstarch will create a slurry to help thicken the gravy.
- Pour the cornstarch slurry into the boiling milk mixture and stir until it thickens.
- Be generous with the gravy! There’s nothing like create that bite of chicken hugged in mashed potato engulfed in gravy.
Are you looking for more easy dinner recipes? Make sure you check out my recipe for Dairy Free Creamy Loaded Baked Potato Soup. Now let’s get cooking!
Gluten Free Chicken Fried Chicken with Pepper Gravy
- 1 saucepan
- 1 frying pan or skillet
- 2 cups Dairy Free milk, such as oat milk
- 1 tsp Outside Table Simply SPG
- 1 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
Chicken Fried Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts, pounded out thin
- 1/2 cup Gluten Free panko bread crumbs
- 1/2 tsp Outside Table Simply SPG
- 3/4 cup Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp paprika
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup Dairy Free milk
- 1 tsp hot sauce.
- Please a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add the Dairy Free milk and seasonings. Bring to a low boil.
- Whisk together the beef broth and cornstarch. Pour the mixture into the milk mixture.
- Continue to stir until the gravy thickens.
- Serve over the chicken and mashed potatoes.
Chicken Fried Chicken.
- Add the panko, flour, and seasonings to a blender and pulse until the panko is a fine crumb. Pour into a bowl.
- Whisk together the egg, milk, and hot sauce.
- Dip the chicken into the egg wash.
- Dip the chicken into the panko mixture, shaking off excess. Repeat the process with the remaining chicken breasts.
- Heat a large skillet or frying pan over medium heat.
- Add 1/2 cup of vegetable oil, or enough to fully cove the bottom of your skillet. Make sure the oil is fully heated before adding your chicken.
- Add your chicken to the pan, careful not to crowd. If you need to work in batches that is ok.
- Allow the chicken to fry for 4-5 minutes on the first side, or until golden brown.
- Flip the chicken and allow the second side to cook for 4-5 minutes. The internal temperature should be 165 degrees.
- Remove the chicken from the pan and allow to drain on a paper towel lined plate.
- Serve with the pepper gravy.