If you’ve never tried Coconut Tres Leches Cake, you’re in for an absolute gluten-free, dairy-free treat. Picture this: a light and airy sponge cake soaking up a trifecta of milks, topped off with a velvety layer of whipped cream, and generously sprinkled with sweetened coconut flakes. It’s an alluring fusion of traditional Tres Leches Cake and the tropical notes of coconut. And guess what? Making this delightful dessert is as easy as pie…or, well, cake! The ingredients are straightforward, the steps are manageable, and the end result? A showstopper that’ll have your guests asking for seconds. Whether you’re looking for a new dessert recipe, planning a festive gathering, or just want to treat yourself, this Coconut Tres Leches Cake is where it’s at.
Why You’ll Love Coconut Tres Leches Cake
- Tropical Vibe: Every bite transports you straight to a beach vacation. The coconut flavor, courtesy of the premium Amoretti extract, gives this cake an exotic twist.
- Texture Heaven: Between the moist sponge cake and the soft whipped cream topping, the varying textures in this cake are a delightful sensory experience.
- Crowd-Pleaser: Whether for a birthday, holiday, or just a weekend get-together, this cake promises rave reviews from all your guests.
- Simple Ingredients: No need for a special trip to a gourmet store. Most ingredients can be found right in your local grocery store.
- Versatility: It’s a fantastic base. Feel free to jazz it up further with fruits, chocolate shavings, or even a drizzle of caramel.
What you’ll need to make Coconut Tres Leches Cake
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Mixing bowls
- Hand mixer or kitchen aid mixer
- 9×13 baking sheet
Ingredients You Need To Make Coconut Tres Leches Cake
- Gluten Free flour
- Baking powder
- Kosher salt
- Amoretti toasted coconut extract
- Evaporated milk
- Sweetened condensed milk
- Lite coconut milk-unsweetened
- Whipped topping
- Sweetened coconut flakes
- (Optional) Strawberries
How To Make Coconut Tres Leches Cake
(For the cake)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- In one mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In a different bowl, whisk the sugar and egg yolks until light yellow.
- Stir in the coconut extract and milk.
- Gradually add in the dry ingredients until just mixed.
- Gently fold in the egg whites.
- Pour the batter into the baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool completely, then poke holes all over with a toothpick.
(For the topping)
- Combine all the milks and pour over the cooled cake.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Before serving, top with whipped cream, a sprinkle of coconut, and enjoy!
Commonly Asked Questions
Can I make this cake ahead of time?
Absolutely! The longer this cake sits, the better it gets. You can make it a day in advance and let it soak up all the milky goodness. Just add the whipped cream and coconut flakes right before serving.
Can I use full-fat coconut milk?
The recipe calls for lite coconut milk to maintain a balance in richness. Using full-fat might make the cake a tad too dense. If you’re okay with that, give it a go!
My cake seems too wet; did I do something wrong?
Not at all. Tres Leches Cake is supposed to be moist—that’s the beauty of it! Over time, the cake will absorb the milk mix, giving it its signature wet texture.
Can I add other toppings?
While the recipe is perfect as is, feel free to get creative. Berries, a sprinkle of cinnamon, or even a drizzle of caramel can add an extra oomph.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
Let’s get one thing straight: this isn’t just another cake. This Coconut Tres Leches Cake is the epitome of dessert dreams. For starters, it beautifully marries the authentic flavor of Tres Leches with the tropical twist of coconut. It’s soft, moist, and irresistibly creamy. And the best part? The Amoretti toasted coconut extract. It’s not just an addition; it’s a game-changer. This extract amplifies the coconut flavor, making each bite an exotic journey. Whether you’re a seasoned baker or just dabbling in the dessert realm, this recipe promises stellar results with minimal effort. So next time you’re in a baking mood, give this recipe a whirl, and bask in the compliments that are sure to flow your way.
Gluten and Dairy Free Coconut Tres Leches Cake
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 deep 9×13 baking dish
Gluten Free Cake
- 1 1/8 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 5 Eggs seperated
- 1/2 tsp Salt
- 2 1/2 tsp Baking powder
- 1 1/8 cup Sugar
- 2 tsp Toasted Coconut Extract
- 1/2 cup Milk
For The Topping
- 11.25 oz Dairy Free sweetened condensed coconut milk
- 12 oz Lite Coconut Milk (unsweetened)
- 12 oz Dairy Free evaporated milk, coconut
- 8 oz Whipped Topping
- 1 cup Sweetened coconut flakes
- Optional Strawberries
Gluten Free Cake
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick baking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form. Set aside.
- In another bowl, combine sugar and egg yolks. Beat on high for 2-3 minutes until light yellow. Mix in coconut extract and milk.
- Gradually mix in the dry ingredients until just incorporated.
- Gently fold in the beaten egg whites until well combined.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking dish and bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean. Allow it to cool completely, then poke holes all over the cake with a toothpick.
- Allow the cake to cool completely before continuing on with the next steps.
Prepare the topping
- Mix evaporated milk, sweetened condensed milk, and lite coconut milk. Pour over the poked cake. Cover and refrigerate for 4 hours.
- Before serving, top with whipped cream, coconut flakes, and optionally, strawberries.