Thanksgiving is just a couple of weeks away and menu planning is in full effect. What is the ultimate foo holiday without a sweet potato casserole sitting next to the golden turkey? Gluten and Dairy Free Streusel Sweet Potato Casserole gives you all of the classic flavors with a little savory twist.
Sweet potatoes take centerstage throughout the season from side dishes like this sweet and savory casserole to towering desserts like Gluten Free Pumpkin Cake with Toasted Marshmallow Frosting. The best part of this classic casserole is not only how delicious it is, but also how easy it is to prepare.
Not only does this Gluten and Dairy Free Streusel Sweet Potato Casserole come together with minimal effort, but it also combines ingredients you probably already have in your pantry.
- Dairy Free Butter – Adds richness to both the mashed sweet potatoes and also the pecan streusel topping/
- Brown Sugar – Adds sweetness to the streusel topping and enhances the natural sweetness of the potatoes.
- Pinch of Pepper – Adds an earthy, savory note to the streusel.
- Cinnamon – Adds warmth and the sweet scent of the fall to every bite.
- Cardamom – Gives a delicate citrusy spice to the crumble topping.
- Salt – Enhances all of the flavors.
- Pecans – Brings the crunch factor and buttery flavor to the crumble topping.
- Gluten Free Flour – Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour is my go-to for both savory and sweet dishes. It makes it easy to substitute Gluten Free flour into recipes.
- Sweet Potatoes – The star of this dish. Naturally sweet and packed with nutrients, these orange hued tubers are sweet yet savory.
- Dairy Free Milk – Makes the mashed sweet potatoes creamy and luxurious.
- Ancho Chili Powder – Adds a slightly earthy spice that brings savory flavor.
- Egg and Egg Yolk – Not only adds richness in flavor but helps the potatoes puff and creates a souffle like texture.
- Vanilla Extract – The better the quality the vanilla, the more intense the flavor.
How to Make Gluten and Dairy Free Streusel Sweet Potato Casserole
This Thanksgiving classic comes together with minimal steps. The best part is you can prepare it ahead of time and then pop it into the oven when your turkey is resting.
Time needed: 1 hour and 20 minutes
Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 7×10 baking dish with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
Use a fork to poke holes in the sweet potatoes. Microwave them until they are fork tender. Allow to cool enough to handle
Use a fork to mix the streusel ingredients together. The mixture will resemble wet sand.
Mix together the ingredients for the sweet potatoes until smooth, creamy, and light.
Spread the sweet potatoes into the prepared baking dish. Dop with the streusel. Allow the mixture to bake for 45-60 minutes or until the topping is golden brown.
All of the ingredients in this dish are Dairy Free. However, you can use regular milk and butter for this recipe.
This dish is perfect to prepare the day before you plan on serving it. Make the entire casserole up until the point of baking it in the oven. Tightly wrap your baking dish in plastic wrap and keep it refrigerated until you plan on baking it off.
Top Tip for Gluten and Dairy Free Streusel Sweet Potato Casserole
When picking your sweet potatoes, always look for potatoes with the darkest red skin. This means they will be the freshest making them extra sweet, less fibrous, and moister. Also, always poke your sweet potatoes with a fork before microwaving them. This will help them to steam.
Gluten and Dairy Free Streusel Sweet Potato Casserole
- 1 Microwave
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 7"x10" baking dish
- 5 tbsp Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup oats
- 3/4 cup brown sugar
- pinch of pepper
- 1/8 tsp cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp cardamom
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup pecans, chopped
- 1/2 cup Gluten Free 1.1 Flour
- 5 sweet potatoes 4-5 cups
- 1/2 cup Dairy Free milk
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- a couple of dashes of ancho chili powder
- 1 egg
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup brown sugar
- 4 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees. Spray a 7×10 baking dish with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Use a fork to poke holes in your sweet potatoes. Microwave them until they are fork tender.
- Allow the sweet potatoes to cool enough to handle.
- Once cooled. remove from the skin and transfer to a bowl. Add the remaining ingredients to a bowl and mix until smooth and creamy.
- Pour into the prepared baking dish.
- Add all of the ingredients for the streusel topping to a bowl.
- Use a fork to mash the ingredients together until they are combined and crumbly.
- Sprinkle the streusel topping all over the top of the sweet potatoes.
- Bake the casserole for 45-60 minutes or until it's golden brown and bubbly.