Is there anything more nostalgic than an oatmeal cookie? They're that perfect balance of crispy and chewy, with just the right amount of spice. These Gluten and dairy Free Oatmeal Cookies with Dates are all the classic flavors you love, and even more.
Why do chocolate chip cookies get all of the glory? There's something about oatmeal cookies and the way they combine that perfect chew with a little crunch. While they're delicious on their own, add dates and they become something even more special.
Flavor in the Texture
Besides their warm and comforting flavors, Gluten and Dairy Free Oatmeal Cookies with Dates are all about the texture. Each bite has you wanting to go back for another.
When it comes to oatmeal cookies, there are the purists that want just the texture of the rolled oats. There are those that crave a little crunch factor and add nuts. There are also the recipes that play on the chewy bite and go for raisins. This recipe plays with all three textures but instead of raisins we're adding dates.
My favorite dates are from D'Vash Organics. Their Premium Khalas Dates are small, tender, and moist. Each bite packs that deep caramel flavor. On their own they are a nutrient rich snack. Added to these oatmeal cookies they become something entirely new. Sticky rich little bites that burst with flavor sprinkled throughout each cookie.
That's How the Cookie Crumbles with Gluten and Dairy Free Oatmeal Cookies with Dates
Cookies are one of the easiest and most universally loved baked items. I will take you step by step so you can share this nostalgic favorite with family and friends.
- Pregame! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line four baking sheets with parchment paper. I love baking cookies with parchment paper.
- If you don't have four baking sheets you can bake these in batches. Just allow your cookie sheets to fully cool between each batch.
- Add your sugars and room temperature Dairy Free butter to a mixing bowl and mix on high for three minutes. This step is called creaming. The butter will lighten and become slightly fluffy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, mixing in between. Add your remaining ingredients and mix until just combined. You don't want to over mix.
- To help portion your cookies and allow them to bake evenly use an ice cream scoop to form your cookies. Don't over crowd them on the pan as they will spread. You want about 2" between each cookie.
- Bake your Gluten and Dairy Free Oatmeal Cookies with Dates for 12-16 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove them from the oven and allow them to cool on the baking sheet.
Are you looking for more cookie ideas to fill your cookie jar? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Almond Butter and Jelly Cookies. Now let's get baking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Oatmeal Cookies with Dates
- Mixing Bowl
- baking sheets
- Parchment paper
- 1 ¾ cup Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 3 cups oats
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1 ½ tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- ½ tsp salt
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 1 cup dates, finely chopped
- 1 ½ cups walnuts, chopped
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Line 4 baking sheets with parchment paper and set aside.
- Add your butter and both sugars to a bowl and beat on high for 3 minutes.
- One at a time add your eggs, mixing in between.
- Add the rest of your ingredients and mix until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Using an ice cream scoop, portion your cookies and place on prepared baking sheets. Don't over crown. You want about 2" between each cookie.
- Bake 12-16 minutes or until lightly golden brown.
- Allow to cool on baking sheets.