Who says you can’t have cake for breakfast? Gluten and Dairy Free Honey Banana Coffee Cake is sure to become your new favorite way to brunch.
I don’t know about you, but I love brunch. I love that you can go all sweet, keep it savory, or do a combination of both. And of course, brunch is breakfast with better libations! Pop open the sparkly because this tender and moist cake will be the star of your brunch buffet.
All About that Texture
Whether your picking up a slice or sinking your fork in for a bite, coffee cake is all about the texture. Gluten and Dairy Free Honey Banana Coffee Cake delivers on all of the flavor and texture in every bite.
One of the best parts of coffee cake is that aromatic streusel topping that delivers a little crunch to balance out the tender and moist cake. While some recipes will have you mixing flour, sugar, and butter together to achieve that crumble, we’re kicking things up even more by adding granola.
For this recipe I am using one of my favorite pantry staples, Grandy Organics Honey Nut Granola. Whether I’m looking for a quick snack on the go, something to add to my favorite Dairy Free Greek yogurt, like in this recipe want to add incredible texture and flavor to a baked item, this granola is always the right answer.
Made with Gluten Free oats, cashews, almonds, walnuts, and wildflower honey, you get total crunch in every bite. This granola is certified organic, Gluten Free, and made in small batches.
While the granola gives that nutty, crunchy topping, cinnamon sugar is infused in every bite. Banana offers up flavor while keeping the cake moist with honey enhancing the light sweetness.
How to Measure Bananas
We’ve all made banana bread or seen recipes that call for half a cup or a cup of bananas. But how much do you actually need when it comes to measuring bananas themselves? When it comes to measuring bananas, a recipe can state whether it’s chopped, or mashed, as in most banana bread recipes. However, they both measure slightly differently! Keep in mind that when adding bananas to a recipe more banana doesn’t equal more flavor. Instead, it could leave you with a dense or mushy finished product. Instead, you want to use the ripest bananas possible for the most intense banana flavor.
Here is an easy guide to use the next time you need to measure out fresh banana for a recipe.
- 1/2 banana: 1/3 cup chopped | 1/4 cup mashed
- 1 banana: 2/3 cup chopped | 1/2 cup mashed
- 1-1/2 bananas: 1 cup chopped | 3/4 cup mashed
- 2 bananas: 1-1/3 cups chopped | 1 cup mashed
- 3 bananas: 2 cups chopped | 1-1/2 cups mashed
- 4 bananas: 2-2/3 cups chopped | 2 cups mashed
Sunday Superstar with Gluten and Dairy Free Honey Banana Coffee Cake
You will be the superstar of your Sunday brunch if you serve up this coffee cake. While it’s perfect for brunch it’s equally at home as a way to make weekday mornings a little more special or as the companion to your afternoon tea.
- Pregame! Preheat your oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Add your banana, sugar, Dairy Free room temperature butter, and honey to a mixing bowl and mix on high for 3 minutes.
- Stir in the eggs and Dairy Free sour cream and mix until just combined.
- Add in your dry ingredients and mix until just combined. Be careful of over mixing.
- Mix together the cinnamon, sugar, and vanilla powder.
- Add half of the batter to your prepared baking dish and spread it out.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the top.
- Top with the remaining batter.
- Sprinkle the granola over the top.
- Bake your coffee cake fir 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- If the top of your Gluten and Dairy Free Honey Banana Coffee Cake starts to tent it with aluminum foil.
- Allow to cool completely before cutting.
Are you looking for more brunch inspiration? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Chilaquiles in Tomatillo Sauce. Now let’s get cooking!
Gluten and Dairy Free Honey Banana Coffee Cake
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 Mixer
- 1 9×13 baking dish
- 3 3/4 cups Gluten Free 1.1 flour
- 1.5 tbsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 3/4 cup Dairy Free butter, room temperature
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 banana, ripe
- 1 tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 tbsp honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups Grandy Organics Honey Nut Granola
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla powder, optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray a 9×13 baking dish with nonstick baking spray and set aside.
- Add the sugar, butter, banana, and honey to a bowl and mix for 3 minutes.
- Add the eggs and sour cream and mix to combine.
- Add the flour, baking powder, and salt and mix until just combined. Don't over mix.
- Stir together the brown sugar, cinnamon, and vanilla powder if using.
- Add half of the batter to the prepared baking dish and spread out. It will be thick.
- Sprinkle the cinnamon sugar mixture over the top.
- Add the remaining batter to the pan and spread out.
- Top with the granola.
- Bake for 30-40 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.
- If the top starts to get too brown, lightly tent it with foil.
- Allow to cool completely before serving.