I don't know about you, but I can make a meal out of chips and dip. Whether it's guacamole or salsa, or this Gluten and Dairy Free Caramelized French Onion Dip, I love them all.
As soon as the chips and dip come out, the party is on. It's the ultimate fun combination, ideal for an easy Sunday afternoon with friends, or backyard barbecue.
Low and Slow
Just like barbecue, the key to this Gluten and Dairy Free Caramelized French Onion Dip is about going low and slow. With just a handful of ingredients and minimal cooking, this addictive dip is sure to become a favorite companion to all of your burgers and sandwiches.
Who grew up with French onion dip involving a container of sour cream and the packet of French onion soup mix? There's just something about that slightly sweet flavor of caramelized onions, even in dried form, that is instantly nostalgic.
Unlike the dehydrated version this decadent and creamy dip gets its flavor from the natural sweetness of an onion cooking down until a beautiful golden brown. The longer onions cook, the more the heat draws out their sugars transforming them into something amazing.
For an herbaceous and savory note, chives and dried parsley are supporting stars, along with garlic powder. Tangy Dairy Free sour cream ties everything together. While crispy crunchy chips are the natural dippers, this dip is equally as delicious served with your favorite crudites, as well as topping for a burger!
Easy Gluten and Dairy Free Caramelized French Onion Dip
This luscious dip requires three simple steps...chop, sauté, mix. So pop open the bag of your favorite chips and let's break it down.
- Finely chop your onion. This recipe calls for one small onion. By creating a fine dice you not only can caramelize your onion a little faster, you get that sweet flavor in every single bite.
- Don't rush the process. It should take about 20 minutes to achieve that golden brown color. If the onions seem like they're browning too fast turn your heat down slightly.
- This is one of those dishes that just gets better the longer it sits. While it's amazing as soon as you mix it up, it gets even better if you allow it to chill a little.
- Have fun with your dippers!
Are you looking for more easy appetizer ideas? Make sure you check out my recipe for Gluten Free Sausage Balls with Pork Panko. Now let's get our dip on!
Gluten and Dairy Free Caramelized French Onion Dip
- 1 Sauté pan
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 12 oz Dairy Free sour cream
- 1 onion, finely chopped small
- 2 tbsp Dairy Free butter
- ¼ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp kosher salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp chives
- ½ tbsp dried parsley
- Heat a skillet over low heat with the butter and onions. Allow the onions to cook down, stirring occasionally, and turn a golden color, approximately 20 minutes.
- Add all of the ingredients together and mix to combine.
- Serve with your favorite chips or dippers!
Leave a Reply