Summer is just around the corner and with it all of the fresh flavors of the season. Sweet, tender, sticky, and irresistible Glazed Blueberry Sweet Rolls are the ultimate brunch dish to celebrate the flavors of summertime.
Is there anything better than biting into a tender and moist sweet roll while enjoying your morning coffee? Whether it’s a sweet way to start your weekend or served up for brunch, there’s something magical about a homemade pastry. From Banana Bread Cinnamon Rolls with Peanut Butter Frosting to these blueberry studded beauties, they never last long.
Why You’ll Love This Recipe
- Accessible Ingredients – These homemade blueberry sweet rolls combine pantry staples like yeast, flour, and blueberry pie filling with baking staples like butter, heavy cream, and yogurt. You probably have most of the ingredient to make these at any time.
- Texture – The are light, tender, and impossibly moist. The texture combined with the flavor make these love at first bite.
- Balance of Flavors – The lemon zest studded rolls are just lightly sweet while the sticky drizzle of glaze gives that perfect finishing kiss of sweetness making these both balanced in flavor and perfect for any time of day. Serve these with a cup of tea in the afternoon for the perfect confection to brighten your day.
- Meal Prep – These sweet yeast rolls are the ultimate way to weekend. Make them on a Friday afternoon and enjoy them all weekend long. You can easily reheat them in the oven or microwave.
These Glazed Blueberry Sweet Rolls combine an easy process with simple ingredients making them an ideal sweet treat for everyone from the beginning baker to those that bake all of the time. With customizable ingredients to fit your lifestyle and dietary needs, these will be beloved by all.
- Butter – Used in both the sweet roll dough itself for the richness and texture and also the sweet glazy frosting.
- Honey – Helps feed the yeast while giving delicate sweetness to the rolls.
- Water – You want warm water to help activate the yeast. The water should be around 110 degrees, or what your particular package of yeast recommends.
- Vanilla Extract – The better the quality the vanilla, the more pronounced the flavor. Used in both the sweet rolls and also the vanilla glaze.
- Lemon Zest – Blueberry’s best friend! Adds a delicate caress of lemon that balances the sweetness and adds a bright note.
- Plain Yogurt – Gives these sweet rolls their texture and also a little tang.
- Kosher Salt
- Instant Active Yeast – This is what gives these rolls their tender, airy texture.
- Flour – No need for anything fancy. AP flour works just fine. You can also use a Gluten Free 1 to 1 flour such as Bob’s Red Mill.
- Blueberry Pie Filling – Using pie filling makes it easy to make these year round.
- Heavy Cream – This is poured over the top before baking. Gives the rolls a slightly caramelized bottom and extra fluffy and moist texture.
- Powdered Sugar – Easily dissolves into the butter and milk for the vanilla glaze.
How to Make Glazed Blueberry Sweet Rolls
If you have never work with yeast dough before, this is the perfect recipe to start with. Using a few simple steps, you’ll feel like a total rockstar in the kitchen when these aromatic rolls come out of the oven.
Time needed: 2 hours and 15 minutes
Lemon kissed sweet rolls are filled with blueberry pie filling and topped with a sweet vanilla glaze.
Add the water, half of the sugar, honey, and yeast to a bowl and stir to combine. Let it sit for 5 minutes. It should begin to bubble.
Add the milk, butter, remaining sugar, and salt to a saucepan over medium heat. Allow it to scald, bubbles forming around the edges, but not come to a boil. Remove from the heat and let partially cool.
Add the yogurt, lemon zest, and vanilla to a mixing bowl fit with a paddle and mix to combine. Add the yeast mixture and mix. With the mixer running slowly add in the milk mixture.
Add the flour half a cup at a time, letting it incorporate. Once mixed let it mix for an additional minute.
Lightly flour your work surface and the dough. Gently roll the dough out to about a 9×12 rectangle. Spread the blueberry pie filling over the dough and tightly roll it up. Slice the log into 9 rolls and place into a buttered 9×13 baking dish.
Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and a towel and place in a warm spot. Let it rise until they are 1 1/2 times their size.
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Unwrap the baking dish and drizzle the cream over the top. Allow them to bake for 30 minutes until they’re golden brown. Let cool.
Mix together the ingredients for the glaze until smooth. Drizzle over the top and enjoy!
Have fun with your pie fillings! You can use any filling you like with this recipe and the sweet vanilla glaze. Peach, apple, strawberry, and raspberry are all excellent options. Just omit the lemon zest from the dough for the peach and apple.
You can use all dairy products and all purpose flour for this recipe. You can also make it completely dairy free by using plant based butter and heavy cream and oat milk. In addition you can also make it gluten free by using 1.1 baking flour. The measurements will be the same.
Storage for Glazed Blueberry Sweet Rolls
These are a great make ahead pastry. Keep them stored in an airtight container either in the refrigerator, or at room temperature and they will keep for up to five days. To reheat them allow them to warm through for 5-6 minutes in a 325 degree oven, or in the microwave.
Top Tip for Glazed Blueberry Sweet Rolls
When making your vanilla glaze for these sweet rolls, make sure that your butter is at room temperature before mixing together your ingredients. This will allow the glaze to come together smoothly and quickly, being completely lump free. If it seems a little too thick, you can also add a little additional milk to thin it out to your desired consistency.
Glazed Blueberry Sweet Rolls
- 1 mixer fit with a paddle/mixing bowl
- 1 Mixing Bowl
- 1 saucepan
- 1 9×13 baking dish
- 1 Rolling Pin
Blueberry Sweet Rolls
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 cup milk
- 1 tbsp honey
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup warm water, 110 degrees
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tbsp lemon zest
- 5 oz plain yogurt
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 pkg instant active yeast
- 3 1/2 cups 1.1 Gluten Free flour plus 1/2-1 cup for working the dough
- 21 oz blueberry pie filling
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup butter, room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Butter a 9×13 baking dish and set aside.
- Add the warm water, yeast, honey, and half of the sugar to a bowl and mix to combine. Let it sit for 5 minutes. It should begin to bubble.
- Add the milk, butter, salt, and remaining sugar to a saucepan over medium heat. Allow it to scald, where bubbles form along the edges but it doesn't come to a boil. Remove from the heat and let partially cool.
- Add the yogurt, lemon zest, and extract to a mixing bowl with the mixer fit with a paddle. Mix to combine.
- Add the yeast mixture to the bowl and mix.
- With the mixer running slowly add the milk mixture.
- Add 1/2 a cup of flour at a time. Once incorporated let mix for an additional 1 minute.
- Lightly flour your work surface and dough. Roll the dough out into an approximately 9×12 rectangle.
- Spread the blueberry pie filling over the dough.
- Roll the dough tightly. Slice into 9 rolls and place into the prepared baking dish.
- Cover the baking dish with plastic wrap and a towel. Place in a warm place.
- Let the rolls rise until they are 1 1/2 times their size.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Uncover the rolls. Drizzle the heavy cream over the top.
- Let the rolls bake for 30 minutes until they're golden brown on top. Let slightly cool.
- Add all of the ingredients for the vanilla glaze to a bowl and mix until smooth.
- Drizzle over the top of the blueberry sweet rolls. Top with fresh blueberries if desired.