With kids back in school and the holidays just around the corner, it's nice to have a quick and easy fallback meal. Easy Gluten and Dairy Free Barbecue Glazed Shrimp is a healthy and delicious dish the entire family will love.
Shrimp in general are a lean and healthy protein perfect for fast weeknight meals, such as Gluten Free Sweet Sake Shrimp Tacos. They're a perfect canvas for flavors, including this sweet, savory, and saucy barbecue dish.
Easy Gluten and Dairy Free Barbecue Glazed Shrimp combines only a handful of ingredients for a delicious dish. Making your own barbecue sauce not only is easy, it's also much healthier. You can control all of the ingredients and know exactly what goes into it. Unlike bottled sauces high in preservatives and heavy in sugar, this version utilizes pantry ingredients for a new and delicious sauce.
- Ketchup - The base of this BBQ sauce that delivers that sweet, tangy, and familiar tomato flavor.
- Date Sugar - D'vash Organics Date Sugar is made from 100% sustainably sourced dates. Lower on the glycemic scale that sugar, honey, and maple syrup, it also doesn't contain any artificial sweeteners.
- Liquid Smoke - Gives that mysterious whisper of smoke that will have you going back for a second and third bite.
- Worcestershire Sauce - Adds both salt and a dash of umami to the barbecue sauce while also balancing out the sweetness.
- Apple Cider Vinegar - Wakes up all of the flavors and adds a bright tang.
- Shrimp - If using frozen shrimp make sure they are defrosted. Medium-extra-large shrimp will work for this recipe. Save the colossal shrimp for the grill.
- Olive Oil - Helps quickly sauté the shrimp.
How to Make Easy Gluten and Dairy Free Barbecue Glazed Shrimp
The sauce for this dish is ideal to make ahead. Use it for these shrimps, make extra and sauce up some chicken!
Time needed: 30 minutes.
Bring the sticky and saucy taste of barbecue to the table in less than thirty minutes. Just add a side of crisp green beans and rice to sop up the excess sauce and you have the perfect dinner.
- The Sauce is Boss
Mix together all of the ingredients for the sticky barbecue sauce. Add them to a small saucepan and allow it to cook for five minutes over medium-low heat until the sugar has dissolved, and the sauce has slightly thickened.
This portion of the recipe can be done ahead of time. Just pull it out from the fridge when you're ready to cook your shrimp.
Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Add your shrimp, careful not to crowd. You can cook them in batches if necessary. Cook the first side 2-3 minutes before flipping. Cook the second side about the same, or until they turn pink and slightly form a C shape. They should be 120 degrees.
Turn off the heat. Add ⅓ cup of the barbecue sauce and toss to combine.
Serve this shrimp with rice and your favorite vegetable. Enjoy!
- Spicy - If you like things on the spicy side, add a pinch of cayenne to this sweet and tangy sauce.
- Chicken - For a fun family-friendly version of this, try brushing this sauce on chicken tenders.
- Pork - Take this sauce outside to the grill. Next time you are grilling up a pork tenderloin brush this sauce on in the last few minutes of cooking to give your pork a glossy glaze.
The barbecue sauce for Easy Gluten and Dairy Free Barbecue Glazed Shrimp is a great make ahead. You can make this sauce for the shrimp and then use it later in the week. Allow it to cool off after cooking. Transfer it to an airtight container and store it in the refrigerator until ready to use. It will keep for a week.
Top Tip for Easy Gluten and Dairy Free Barbecue Glazed Shrimp
Shrimp are one of the fastest cooking proteins, perfect for speedy weeknight meals while being healthy. To ensure that they get a nice sear on them, never over crowd your pan. If they are too crowded in a pan they will steam instead. In addition, keep an eye on their shape and color. When they start turning opaque, and pink on the side, it's time to flip them. They only need a couple of minutes per side until they are done.
Easy Gluten and Dairy Free Barbecue Glazed Shrimp
- 1 saucepan
- 1 Sauté pan
- 2 cups ketchup
- ½ cup D'vash Organics Date Sugar
- ½ tsp liquid smoke
- 1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
- ⅓ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 lbs shrimp, cleaned and peeled
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- Mix together all of the ingredients for the barbecue sauce.
- Add the sauce to a small saucepan over medium-low heat.
- Cook the sauce for 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved and the sauce has slightly thickened.
- Remove from the heat.
- The sauce can be cooled and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container until ready to use.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat with olive oil.
- Add the shrimp in a single layer in the pan, careful not to crowd.
- Cook the first side of the shrimp for 2-3 minutes, or until the sides are turning opaque.
- Flip the shrimp and cook them another 2-3 minutes until they are pink.
- Turn the heat off and add ⅓ cup of the barbecue sauce. Toss to combine.
- Serve with rice and your favorite vegetable. Enjoy!
Leave a Reply